Narrative: I Am A "Fixer"

Narrative: I Am A "Fixer"

I want to help you and I expect nothing in return.
48

We all have experiences that influence us into becoming who we are. So many of us want you to know every little detail about our lives; while others like to keep you at a distance.

I am a fixer. I want you to be okay. I don't care how it makes me feel, I ultimately want the best for you and will do anything for you to achieve that.

I hate seeing pain. I hate watching someone cry; breaking right in front of me. I want to help. I want to heal. However, in the process of healing you I forget about myself. This is dangerous.

I generally forget to think about myself. You're probably thinking "that's impossible." Believe me it isn't.

I want to help. I want to heal. This is why I work so hard.

I work hard for everything I receive just to give it away. Crazy right? But nothing brings me more joy. I am a fixer.

I want you to be okay, to be happy. There is nothing wrong with this in anyway, however, sometimes I need reminded of a few things.

1. I can't fix everyone or everything.

2. Not everyone wants your help.

3. Look after yourself.

The last one is a major one. I justify it by telling myself the following: "If you aren't there, who will be?"

This is the reason I chose my field of study. Biology with a concentration in Pre-Medicine. This is why I am willingly going to school for 8+ years. Why I am volunteering for sleepless nights and long hours of studying. I like to believe I will make a difference. Now, don't take me for one those "I will be known everywhere" types. If throughout my entire career I only achieve helping one person I will be content. If all of my patients hate me because I am good at what I do, so be it. Because if I can help that one little boy or girl realize they can do anything they set their minds to despite their current situations; I have received the greatest reward.

I am not "in it for the money". I do not care about "the hours of my life wasted." I do not need to see the outcomes or be rewarded for them. I just want to help. Whether that means splinting an arm or removing a life threatening tumor. I am in it for the long haul.

So whether you are the fixer, the follower, the leader, or the denier, make sure you are you for the right reasons.