Name A Better Date: Chips, Salsa, National Championship

Is there anything better than a girlfriend who will sit and watch a game with you? There is. It's a girlfriend who will sit and watch the game with you, and bring snacks.

36

It's me. I am that girlfriend. Recently, I endured the lovely date night of watching Clemson vs Alabama, and while most everyone else was upset or amazed by the score, I was just happy to be there.

Sitting on the couch with my glass of wine, snacking on chips and dip, and snuggled up with my man. While my boyfriend screamed over Alabama's loss, I sat back and enjoyed the game of football. I wasn't cheering for Alabama or Clemson.

I never really pick one team's side of the other. I am, however, fairly educated in the game of football and know a good play when I see one.

As the daughter of a head high school football coach, I've spent many, many, many summers and fall seasons surrounded by the stinky boys and learned the difference between good football and bad.

Now my dad's team was not exactly state championship material (sorry dad), so looking at how the players play the game versus the score and number of wins is how I grew up to appreciate the game.

The benefit of it all is that I can a.) enjoy football games with my boyfriend whenever he wants to watch, b.) not be in any arguments because we like different teams, and c.) not have to ask questions about the sport.

When you don't have a favorite team and just enjoy the game itself it makes it a lot easier to have a date night where we can watch football and eat junk food. I don't try to keep up with player's stats or know even the slightest bit about fantasy, so you don't have to worry about those boring conversations or those fake conversations where it's obvious I barely know anything about what I'm talking about. I'm simply here to say "Woah, good catch." or "That was a nice play." or even "Wow, what a hit." and then I'll go refill our drinks and the chip bowl.

And really it's not just football that makes a fine date night, it can be any type of sport. Although when it comes to hockey and baseball I do indeed have favorite teams (shoutout St. Louis Blues & Cardinals), we still enjoy the games together. It's nice to be able to get along during times we watch sports, it makes me sad to see relationships struggle because they think their S/O spends too much time and effort in sports, but for me and my boyfriend, it is something we can enjoy together.

And for that, I'm thankful. So when there's another big game on this week or the next, I will be with my boyfriend, and we will have snacks, and we will spend some quality time together watching whoever it is playing their game.