My Wisdom Teeth Experience

My Wisdom Teeth Experience

It's not as bad as you really think

49
My Wisdom Teeth Experience
PennyCreekSmiles

This month I had the pleasure of getting all four of my wisdom teeth out. I'm sure many of you that are reading this are going to get your wisdom teeth out as well. Here is my experiences and hopefully it will calm you down and that you will have a better understanding of what it's like.

When I first went in for the procedure I was very nervous because I had never had surgery before. When you first go in to talk to the surgeon they will explain what they are going to do during the surgery. You can pick from being knocked out, laughing gas or just numbing. I chose the laughing gas and numbing. This will take about 10 minutes and you will have chances to ask questions you may have. After you talk to the surgeon you will set up a time to get your teeth out.

Before you get your teeth out if you choose to be put under or get the laughing gas you will not be able to eat 6 hours before the surgery. Wear comfy clothes while you get your teeth out. This might seem like a given but really wear comfy clothes because it will make you much more relaxed. If you get knocked out you won't remember anything. I'm not sure if you will remember anything if you get the laughing gas because the gas had no affect on me. I remember the surgery very well. If you just have the numbing gel you will remember everything.

Depending on how impacted your teeth or if they are at all your surgery will be different from everyone. Ask your surgeon what they are going to do and how long it will take. Mine only took about a half an hour for all 4 teeth out and 2 of them were impacted.

After the surgery is done you will want to ice your face and take your pills as soon as you can. My pain wasn't that much at all because I took the pain medications as soon as I could. It will be hard to drink water and eat things because you are numb. It took me about 2-3 hours to not be numb. Your face will be very puffy so icing again is very helpful with pain and swelling. If you don't have an ice pack use frozen veggies, I recommend peas.

For food I didn't eat anything but a milkshake after. You can't use straws though because you can get a dry socket. You will probably only be able to eat apple sauce and pudding for a couple of days. On the second day I could eat pizza in very little bites. Pay attention to what you can and cannot do because everyone is different.

You will sleep upright for a couple of nights because you don't want to squish your face. Also you may still bleed after the first day and that is normal. When brushing your teeth for the first couple of days you have to use a kids tooth brush because it is softer. You also can't spit. It took me about 5 days to fully heal but everyone is different. You will be stuck on the couch for a couple of days so make sure you have some good TV shows to watch.

Overall that's about it. It's not as bad as you think it is! If you have any questions ask your dentist because they will probably know!