My Vote Mattered

My Vote Mattered

And it wasn't used to make a fellow lady President

18
My Vote Mattered

Now we're in the post election hype I feel like maybe now I can actually express how I felt throughout this election. It was a big one. We had another lady running for president. Fortunately and unfortunately she didn't win the vote. But that's okay because as Aaliyah says "If at first you don't succeed. Dust yourself off and try again." Better luck next time Hillary!

That's not why I'm really writing this though. I'm honestly not that upset that Hillary lost. What I was more upset by was all of the articles I kept reading before and after the election about why my vote matters. It felt like everything I was reading was telling me that my vote only mattered so I could vote for a woman into the White House. Sorry, but whoever wrote that is sadly mistaken. My vote mattered for so many other reasons.

With my vote I helped make it so no more charter schools will be added to the state. There won't be anymore charter schools taking away funding or students from our public schools. Thus leaving public school teachers a little bit happier and a school for me to teach in after graduation.

With my vote I was able to help farm animals get the yes on better living environments. They're going to be treated better with more room to roam and be animals. That is, before they become my chicken nuggets.

With my vote I helped with the legalization of recreational use of marijuana for adults over 21 years old. Now those people that have been using marijuana for medical reasons that weren't able to jump through all of the hoops to get it won't have to worry or fear any longer.

With my vote I was able to vote for a president that I felt like I shared the most views, ideas, and opinions with. I didn't use my vote to vote for someone just because they are the same gender as me. I used my vote to get someone into office that is going to help our veterans, protect our constitutional rights and second amendment, fix our broken mental health system, and make child care more affordable.

I felt like this entire election people were focused on voting for Hillary to prove that you support feminism, which to me seemed a little anti-feminist. Feminism is the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men. I can rest easy at night knowing that believing in feminism means I believe that women can have the same opportunities as men. Which also means that I can vote for whomever I want to vote for.