My Thoughts On Valentine's Day

My Thoughts On Valentine's Day

Beneath the superficial

1504
My Thoughts On Valentine's Day
Sarah Massage Therapy

Valentine's Day is a holiday that dates back to ancient history. It has always represented love, from the Middle Ages and Shakespearian era until now. In modern society, this holiday has become superficial. Men spend their paychecks buying diamonds, flowers, and chocolates for their significant others. Women have high expectations, and it becomes a deal breaker for some if their loved one doesn’t get them something or make a grand gesture. Valentine's Day is an excuse for businesses to make money off of people, and it works. It’s all about the gifts and what your significant other does for you on that day, but in my opinion, it shouldn’t be about that at all. I don’t agree with the world's materialistic meaning of Valentine's Day, because it says that you need to show your love to your partner in the biggest way for that day only, but the truth is, you should be showing the ones you love that you love them every single day.

I have never been the kind of girl who expects anything. I’ve been known to say that if my my future husband were to propose and gave me a plastic ring from a candy machine if he couldn’t afford an engagement ring, I wouldn’t hesitate and my answer would not change. Anyone could give me a lollipop as a gift and I would appreciate it as if it were a Pandora bracelet, because it’s not about value. It’s about thought. I love giving gifts, big or small. I get excited knowing how happy the recipient will be, because I like to make my gifts as thoughtful as possible. Valentine's Day for me is just an excuse to do yet another nice thing for the ones I love in addition to the little things I try to do all the time. For me, it’s not only about my wonderful boyfriend. It’s about celebrating all of the amazing supportive people in my life who continue to love me every day that passes.

Last year, I celebrated this day with family, and a few of my friends and I had a Galentine's Day party. I registered a star for my boyfriend, because he was and still is the shining star in my sky. I also texted all of my friends and family to thank them for being there for me and let them know they were appreciated. For the past few years, I’ve surprised my mother with an Edible Arrangement: chocolate strawberries are her favorite.

It doesn’t matter how big or small gifts are, they just have to mean something. Don’t buy them because you feel obligated to. If you’re going to buy a gift, make sure it’s something they’ve been wanting or needing, that way it’s meaningful and special. If you choose to get a card and flowers, make sure you find some way to make it unique. Get the flowers because you do it every once in a while anyway and it’s just another excuse to do so. Write a heartfelt message in a card, because it’s just another way to let your loved one know that they make your world brighter. Prepare a candlelit dinner for your partner, but not because he/she is expecting it or because you think that’s what he/she wants; do it because you want to show them how much they mean to you. It shouldn’t matter if what you do is big or small. If you want to make a big gesture on Valentine's Day, then make it an extension of the little gestures you make every day, because that’s how it should be. We shouldn’t need a day dedicated to showing the ones we love that we love them, because that day should be every day.