My Superhero, My Step-Dad

My Superhero, My Step-Dad

My step-dad didn't have to be my dad, he chose to and that is pretty awesome

360
My Superhero, My Step-Dad

Father’s Day is a special day to appreciate the dads in our lives, but sometimes I forget to thank the biggest super dad of them all, my step dad.

Thank you for being as excited to be in my life just as much as my mom’s.

You knew from the first day that you met her that one day you would be meeting me. Like any single mom, she took a while to introduce us, but when she did, my nerves were quickly replaced with excitement. I never felt as if you were taking my mom -- you were taking us both.

Thank you for making me feel safe.

Even as a child I worried about my mom and my sister but with you I worry a little less. I know that no matter what, you will always keep us safe. From the monsters under my little sister’s bed to the bullies that left me crying, you were my super hero.

Thank you for making me feel secure.

One of my greatest insecurities is the worry that people will leave. With you, I do not. I can confidently say that I will never have to experience life without you as my dad. I will never wake up to find you left, I will never go weeks without hearing from you, and I will never worry that my actions will push you away.

Thank you for never breaking a promise.

If you say it, it is true. I trust your words, actions, and your love for me, always.

Thank you for doing it all over again.

By the time you and my mom were married, your children were grown and raised but you took on two more, far from grown, little girls and raised us as your own.

Thank you for the daddy-daughter dates.

Some of my best days have been the days I spent with you. No matter how busy you get, you have always made time for me.

Thank you for making me feel special.

Every young girl deserves to feel like a princess and you have done nothing short of that.

Thank you for being my cheerleader.

Literally, you cheered for me at every life milestone and I could always count on your face in the crowd. You encourage me to be my best self and always strive for better.

Thank you for listening.

Sometimes, I just need to talk about things that I can’t with anyone else and I can always count on your ears and nonjudgmental opinion.

Thank you for teaching me what love should look like.

I have the highest expectations for my future husband because you taught me that it exists. Your love is unwavering and unconditional.

I do not know where I would be if you would have not come in my life. I did not know you my entire life, but is sure feels like it and I cannot imagine a day without you. One day you will walk me down the aisle, and give me away to a man you approve of, hold your grandchildren and tell them stories about their mom, and continue to show my family the power of unconditional love. The term step-dad is just a formality, you are my father, now and forever.

Thank you simply for being here without question. I love you.