Why I Chose To Major In My Passion

Why I Chose To Major In My Passion

Do what you love and love what you do.

12
Why I Chose To Major In My Passion
Dr. Nicole Robinson

Choosing a major is one of the biggest decisions a college student will make, which explains why most students nervously shake, twitch, or sweat, when it's even brought up in a conversation. So many options, even with the ones you know you'd hate scratched off the list. Unknown.

Unknown seems like such a long, dragged out word when it is put into the perspective of defining yourself. Your father says, "go for the one where you'll make the most money." Your mother says, "go for the one with a large job market and you'll know that you'll always have income."

Well I say, "go for your passion."

Find what you're good at or what you desire to be. How do you want to be viewed or treated? What would you not mind working with every single day? What field makes you smile when you think about it? Some people have ALWAYS known exactly what they want to do. Keyword: some. You're not alone on this journey. Sometimes, you just realize your passions early. But also, the child who once could barely crack an egg, may be a five star chef down the line. Life is unpredictable and that's something to remember when thinking about all of this.

I have always been a "girly girl." My family can attest that I never grew out of my loud sassiness or sense of style. As I grew up, I still had that mindset, chasing after magazines and being a shopaholic. Combining those two, I'm a Communication Studies and Consumer, Apparel, and Retail Studies double major. My own sort of a "snap back into reality" moment. But, I feel right at home with my college plan and now more than ever, I can see myself in the future.

I love to write, obviously. Writing is like shaking everything out of your brain, and documenting it forever: your sorrows, emotions, and delights, all transform into these things called words. I feel a sense of completeness when I write. I open up my laptop and start to type away and right now I am enjoying the mere act of typing my thoughts without distraction or interruption from any other person.

I am in control when I write and the world is all up to me.

Clothes don't only exist for the fact that we can't run around naked. Well, I guess we could, but that seems unpleasant. Something about clothes always fascinated me, how one of the same item could be so different all at the same time. I grew up in a small, conservative town, where the absolute norm was to wear your favorite sports t-shirt and Nike shorts. While others wore that, I wore dresses, heels, spent all of my allowance on designer bags, and showed up to high school every single day, looking my absolute best. People asked me all the time, "who are you trying to impress?" Why do I have to be impressing others? This is what makes me happy. I think as I got older, I found fashion as a comfort zone being an extra large and not an extra small. This may come as a shock to you, considering most people feel the exact opposite. I appreciated finding clothes that looked good on me more because I struggled and spent so much time invested in finding that perfect fit. I loved taking items, getting staple pieces, slapping them together, and making my own unique outfit. When I found joy in fashion, I find joy in myself. I grew more confident, affecting me in all areas of my life. My idea of fashion is not all about the clothes and the makeup, but the excitement and energy that the industry gives off. It influences me and it influences you. Fashion is such a global industry that is influences everyone.

You see, it’s not about cheap clothes or dead newspapers. It's a feeling.

So there, you see?

When you can place that kind of emotion with a subject, you've found your major.

Steve Jobs once said, "The only way to do great work, is to love what you do. If you haven't found it, keep looking and don't settle."

Find happiness in what you study. Do what you love and love what you do.