My Opinion on Kevin Durant Going to the Warriors

Why I believe KD is a hypocrite.

88
Google Images

So much for loyalty right? Kevin Durant is going to be a Golden State Warrior next season. Kevin Durant and the Warriors agreed to a two-year deal to bring the once beloved Oklahoma City Thunder star to Golden State. As this news spread around, the OKC fans began to burn and make hate videos about KD. OKC felt like Kevin stabbed them in the back by going to the Warriors, which the Thunder had a 3-1 series lead in the Western Conference finals, but couldn't get the job done. This man has given nine years of his blood, sweat, and tears for Oklahoma City to throw it all away to join a stacked team. I believe this is a bad thing for the NBA, their teams, and Kevin Durant's legacy. The problem here is not that KD left OKC, the problem is the team he went to. He could have gone to the Spurs, Celtics, Heat, or the Clippers and everyone would have been fine. Him joining the Warriors has upset true basketball fans that believe in competition. Basically, this move is bad for the NBA, this makes Kevin look like a hypocrite, and this is worse than LeBron leaving the Cavaliers for the Heat.

Kevin Durant is a hypocrite, plain and simple. As you can see, the photo above is a tweet from Kevin Durant that is from July 16, 2010, at 10:09 AM. In this tweet Kevin Durant is talking about the players, like Matt Barnes and Steve Blake, joining the Lakers to win a championship. He also talks about the Miami Heat, who has just signed LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh to form a big three. Players like Mike Miller, Zyndrunas Ilguaskas, and Eddie House signed veteran minimum contracts so they can join this team. Basically, what Kevin Durant is saying in this tweet is that he is upset that the Lakers and Heat are forming super teams and wants the NBA to be more competitive.

Six years later, he decides to join record-wise the best team in NBA history who has the players like Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green, who are three of the top twenty players in the NBA, and adding Kevin means the Warriors have four of the top twenty players in the NBA. So much for being competitive, right Kevin? Also, there is a report, that may or may not be true, that Kevin Durant texted Billy Donovan last summer saying that he will be re-signing with the Thunder. Kevin texted "It’s our year next year!" after that he texted "Then Ima sign back and build a sick ass house and keep stacking chips!! That’s [the] goal.” These texts were sent to Billy Donovan after he was hired as head coach of the Thunder when Scott Brooks got fired. So I guess Kevin Durant doesn't keep his word. This whole situation makes KD look bad and these things like the tweet and texts only help prove it.

Some say that Kevin leaving the Thunder for the Warriors is just like LeBron leaving the Cavaliers for the Heat. That is completely wrong. Let's look at Kevin's signing first. Kevin Durant and the Thunder lose to the Warriors after giving up a 3-1 lead. After that, KD joins the Warriors. The Warriors even though they didn't win the NBA championship went 73-9 in the regular season beating the 95-96 Bulls record of 72-10. They have the two-time MVP who was voted unanimous MVP this year in Stephen Curry. They also have, in my opinion, the best shooting guard in the league - Klay Thompson. They also have one of the best power forwards in the league in Draymond Green. Now they add the second-best small forward in the league, Kevin Durant. Could the Warriors win the NBA championship without Durant? YES. Could the Thunder make the playoffs without Durant? YES.

Now let's look at LeBron's situation. In the summer of 2010, LeBron holds an hour long special on ESPN saying that he will go to the Miami Heat with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. This probably wasn't the best idea to announce he was going to Miami, but he did it anyway. He decided to leave Cleveland after being eliminated by the Boston Celtics in the second round of the NBA Playoffs. LeBron James didn't go sign with the team that beat him, he went to Miami and made a team with Bosh and Wade. Yes Miami's team was bought and the Warriors team was built through the draft, but it is still two different scenarios. LeBron's Cavaliers would not make playoffs if he was not on their team and Miami would not have won their championships if LeBron did not come. The Thunder is a better team without Durant than the Cavaliers are without LeBron. The Thunder still have Russell Westbrook while the Cavaliers have no one. Also, Bosh and Wade wouldn't have beat the Spurs or Thunder in the finals without LeBron. LeBron literally carried the Cavaliers to the finals against the Spurs. LeBron and KD's situation are completely different and people who say they are the same are wrong.

This situation also makes the NBA look bad. I can't believe the NBA let this happen; this is destroying the game of basketball. The NBA is supposed to be competitive and this signing makes it less competitive. In 2011, there was a trade that had Chris Paul going to the Lakers to play with Kobe Bryant. The proposed trade would have sent Paul to the Lakers, Pau Gasol to the Rockets and furnished New Orleans with three top-flight NBA players in Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, and Lamar Odom as well as playoff-tested guard Goran Dragic and a 2012 first-round pick that Houston had acquired from the Knicks. Obviously, the league saw that Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant together would be unfair to the league, but having KD join the best team in league history is fair? People already thought during the playoffs that the NBA is rigged and this signing does not help that case. Kevin Durant is one of the best players in the league, joining the best team in the league. How is that fair? I know that it is free agency and players have the choice to go wherever they want, but the Warriors should have a little more respect for the NBA and themselves. This also makes Steph Curry look bad. Steph Curry had just had another underwhelming finals performance. Also, he was the unanimous MVP. How does it look like that the unanimous MVP needs Kevin Durant to help him win a ring? Steph Curry may be the most overrated MVP in league history, but the KD signing does not help prove this wrong.

KD is going to be a Warrior next season and every team in the NBA has to make a game plan to try to stop this overly stacked Warriors team. LeBron used to be the villain in the NBA, but it is clear to see that the Warriors are the villain now. Kevin Durant has officially joined the dark side. All players can officially sign their contracts on July 7th. Maybe KD isn't going to be a Warrior. Maybe this is all one elaborate plot to weaken the Warriors. They have already let Harrison Barnes go and traded Andrew Bogut. Maybe he told the Warriors he would sign with them if the Warriors made some moves and then when they made the moves he would sign back with the Thunder on July 7th. If Kevin Durant ends up doing this, it will shock the NBA just like he did when he announced he would sign with the Warriors. This would probably be one of the smartest moves in NBA history. KEVIN IF YOU ARE READING THIS GO WITH THIS PLAN TO WEAKEN THE WARRIORS!!!!!! KEVIN IT IS UP TO YOU TO SAVE THE NBA!!!!!!