My Mom Is My Role Model

My Mom, My Forever Friend, My Strength, My Cheerleader, My Teacher, My Role Model

And it is an absolute blessing to call her, my mom.

353
Author's ohoto

My mom spent her 29th birthday giving me life.

She will be the first to tell you that she never wanted to be a mother. She cried for three days straight when that test came back positive. Legend has it, she didn't talk to my dad for a full week. They had been married for six years, had stable careers, a house, savings, but my mom was terrified.

My mom was scared she wouldn't be a good mother.

But the moment she held me in her arms and looked at me, all that fear melted away and was replaced with unconditional love. She and my dad gave me a wonderful childhood, I never wanted for anything, and there was never a day that I didn't feel utterly and completely loved.

27 is my mom's favorite number, so I thought it fitting that my 27th article is dedicated to the best woman I know.

My mom radiates positivity.

She is a light in this dark world. She lights up a room with her smile, she betters everything she touches and if you let her, will warm your heart. Her positivity is infectious and makes you want to share her outlook on life.

My mom was open about mental illness before society was.

I always knew my mom struggled with anxiety. As an anxious kid, she taught me that fears could be overcome and that anxiety didn't have to define me. She shared her mental health journey with me from a young age, so I didn't feel like I was dealing with it on my own.

My mom is strong.

She is constantly growing, and over the past few years has blossomed into a warrior. She stands her ground, she knows what she wants, she doesn't get sucked into other's negativity, she doesn't dwell on the past, she looks towards the future. Things don't phase her the way they used to and it's become a trait of hers I strive for.

My mom was born to be a teacher.

Like being a mother, my mom never wanted to be a teacher. She loved school and worked hard at it. She loved foreign language but wanted to get into translating, but definitely not teaching. But just like motherhood, God had other plans. She will never openly talk about this, but the number of lives my mom has impacted over the course of her career is staggering. In her over 30 years of teaching, she has touched the lives of thousands of students.

She was also my teacher, so I saw first hand how she has spent her career. And you know what? She treats her students how she treats me and my brother, with respect, love, kindness, humor, and both emotional and mental intellect. I can't tell you how many times I have been told by her students, "I love your Mom" and if you've ever sat in her class, you know exactly why.

My mom is fair.

She will always shake your hand and say "congratulations" when you beat her at a game. She never cheats at anything, she doesn't lie and all she asks of her children and students is to do their best. She understands the need for mental health days, to sit down and relax. She admits when she's wrong and strives to always be a better person.

My mom is authentic.

What you see is what you get with my mom. Nothing about her is forced, she is who she is. I think it's hard for people to understand sometimes because we live in a world where people put on airs and pretend their life is perfect. If my Mom is having a bad day, she'll tell you. If she's not in a good mood, she'll tell you. Otherwise, she really is that positive and giving.

My mom loves and cares deeply.

When I think of my mom the first word to come to mind is love. She can find love anywhere. In fact, she literally sees hearts everywhere. Whether it be a stain on a tablecloth, a leaf, the way two people are standing in a picture, she will see a heart. And to me, that is representative of her outlook - she loves.

My mom is intelligent.

Learning has always made my Mom happy. She loved school, worked hard at it, and graduated with high marks. Growing up, she brought me and my brother to so many museums which as an adult, I realize not every parent did the same. She fostered in us a curiosity, a love of history and culture, and the notion that one is never too old to stop learning.

My mom is humble.

She shares every article that I write, but I guarantee you sharing this one will be hard for her because she doesn't like to talk about herself. She likes to lift up others and shower them with words of affirmation. But she doesn't receive the words of affirmation that she deserves, because she would much rather point out your good qualities than talk about her own.

My mom is my role model.

The greatest compliment I can ever receive is, "you're just like your mom." It's an old joke that women dread turning into their mothers, but not me. And why would I? I strive to be positive, accepting, open, strong, fair, authentic, loving, intelligent and humble, just as she is.

My mom always says I am a gift from God. That she wouldn't know what her life would be without me in it. But I am the blessed one - to have such a special, strong, loving, caring woman - be my mom.