Almost 10 years ago, the world of music was extremely different than what we have come to know and love now. Though Spotify was launched in 2008, I didn't even know that it existed back then. I found all of my favorite tunes in various ways, from Pandora, to Tumblr, and even 8Tracks (which has since been deleted). However, I've always been a fan of music considered to be "mainstream" because I mainly listened to the radio. Back then (and even now) my favorite stations were always the "Top 40" Stations with Ryan Seacrest hosting weekly countdowns.
Something else that should be noted about my taste in music back then was how much I enjoyed the pop/punk genre. I swore by it, constantly seeking new music by Paramore, All Time Low, and Pierce the Veil. I also started dyeing my hair black, but who's to say that my taste in music was related? (It 100% was.) I also loved rap and R&B. I still do!
As you can tell, my taste in music back then varied. That really hasn't changed, as I sometimes go from listening to musical theatre to listening to alternative/rock songs. Take a look at this list and see if any of these songs were on your playlist too! Here's a snippet of what my iPod looked like when I was in middle school.
1. Super Bass by Nicki MinajGiphy
2. Just Give Me a Reason by P!nk ft. Nate RuessGiphy
3. I Love It by Icona Pop ft. Charli XCXGiphy
4. Applause by Lady GagaGiphy
5. Demons by Imagine DragonsGiphy
6. Girl on Fire by Alicia KeysGiphy
7. Best Song Ever by One DirectionGiphy
(To be honest...I had multiple One Direction songs on my playlists. Whole albums! I loved them immensely in middle school. But this list is about variety so I'll only include this one song.)
8. Misery Business by ParamoreGiphy
9. We Are Young by fun.Giphy
10. Wild Ones by Flo Rida ft. SiaGiphy
11. Everybody Talks by Neon TreesGiphy
12. Someone Like You by AdeleGiphy
13. Good Girl by Carrie UnderwoodGiphy
14. This Is Gospel by Panic at the DiscoGiphy
15. Sugar, We're Goin Down by Fall Out BoyGiphy
16. Dirty Little Secret by The All-American RejectsGiphy
17. Over My Head (Cable Car) by The Fraywww.youtube.com
18. Crazy by Gnarls BarkleyGiphy
19. She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5Giphy
20. I'm Yours by Jason MrazGiphy
21. Party in the U.S.A. by Miley CyrusGiphy
22. Turning Page by Sleeping At LastGiphy
23. Dreams by The CranberriesGiphy
24. Yeah! by Usher ft. Lil Jon and LudacrisGiphy
25. The A Team by Ed SheeranGiphy
I wish I could list every song I used to listen to because I KNOW there are amazing songs that I didn't include. This list is only a small taste of what music middle school me listened to. I'd be happy to recommend songs to anyone, both old favorites and current favorites!