A Playlist From The iPod Of A Middle Schooler In 2013

In middle school, my taste in music was all over the place!

16
Katy Perry on YouTube

Almost 10 years ago, the world of music was extremely different than what we have come to know and love now. Though Spotify was launched in 2008, I didn't even know that it existed back then. I found all of my favorite tunes in various ways, from Pandora, to Tumblr, and even 8Tracks (which has since been deleted). However, I've always been a fan of music considered to be "mainstream" because I mainly listened to the radio. Back then (and even now) my favorite stations were always the "Top 40" Stations with Ryan Seacrest hosting weekly countdowns.

Something else that should be noted about my taste in music back then was how much I enjoyed the pop/punk genre. I swore by it, constantly seeking new music by Paramore, All Time Low, and Pierce the Veil. I also started dyeing my hair black, but who's to say that my taste in music was related? (It 100% was.) I also loved rap and R&B. I still do!

As you can tell, my taste in music back then varied. That really hasn't changed, as I sometimes go from listening to musical theatre to listening to alternative/rock songs. Take a look at this list and see if any of these songs were on your playlist too! Here's a snippet of what my iPod looked like when I was in middle school.

1. Super Bass by Nicki Minaj

2. Just Give Me a Reason by P!nk ft. Nate Ruess

3. I Love It by Icona Pop ft. Charli XCX

4. Applause by Lady Gaga

5. Demons by Imagine Dragons

6. Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys

7. Best Song Ever by One Direction

(To be honest...I had multiple One Direction songs on my playlists. Whole albums! I loved them immensely in middle school. But this list is about variety so I'll only include this one song.)

8. Misery Business by Paramore

9. We Are Young by fun.

10. Wild Ones by Flo Rida ft. Sia

11. Everybody Talks by Neon Trees

12. Someone Like You by Adele

13. Good Girl by Carrie Underwood

14. This Is Gospel by Panic at the Disco

15. Sugar, We're Goin Down by Fall Out Boy

16. Dirty Little Secret by The All-American Rejects

17. Over My Head (Cable Car) by The Fray

www.youtube.com

18. Crazy by Gnarls Barkley

19. She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5

20. I'm Yours by Jason Mraz

21. Party in the U.S.A. by Miley Cyrus

22. Turning Page by Sleeping At Last

23. Dreams by The Cranberries

24. Yeah! by Usher ft. Lil Jon and Ludacris

25. The A Team by Ed Sheeran

I wish I could list every song I used to listen to because I KNOW there are amazing songs that I didn't include. This list is only a small taste of what music middle school me listened to. I'd be happy to recommend songs to anyone, both old favorites and current favorites!

From Your Site Articles