My Long Distance College Relationship

My Long Distance College Relationship

"If there ever comes a day where we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever" Winnie The Pooh

13
My Long Distance College Relationship

My relationship is going on 5 years. We met in high school through a mutual friend and let's just say it wasn't love at first sight for both of us. I was really feeling this kid from the beginning. He gave me his number and we texted here and there. At one point, he told me he wasn't interested in me because he still loved the mutual friend. Well, that changed. I don't know what did it, but after being asked out on multiple occasions, the fifth time I said yes and it's been love ever since.

Our high school relationship was just like every other high school relationship. Junior year, I was being as supportive as possible, when he had three major knee surgeries from a football injury. Spring came and an incident at school led to him being grounded and prevented him from coming to junior prom. Summer came and he was as supportive as possible, while I tried to excel at the college courses I had been taken since freshman year (yes I took college courses on top of my high school courses at my now current college). Then senior year rolled around. On Friday nights in the fall, I was wearing his football jersey in the stands with his family. Come winter, I was being as supportive as I could when he had yet another surgery, this time his shoulder. Spring led to college decisions, senior ball, and graduation.

We both stayed in Syracuse--I attended Le Moyne and him at Onondaga Community College. I was grateful for this; we could continue to be together for the next two years. We tried to stay supportive of one another, but eventually my grades slipped and he was looking at colleges again for after graduation. He decided on FAMU in Florida.

Eight states now separate us for seven months of the year. He is starting his third semester there, as a second semester junior, while I'm going into my senior year here. While we do miss each other a lot, we make long distance work. I drive with him to Florida in the beginning of each of his semesters, since he starts about a week and a half before I do. That little vacation to Florida that I get in August and January unfortunately goes too quickly--I am writing this the night before I have to leave for New York.

Wonder why or how we make this work? One word: Love.

I love him enough to know that he is following his dream to become a Physical Therapist. I love him enough to take the 19 hour drive with him without question. I love him enough to know he can't talk on the phone sometimes, because he's studying. I love him enough to pray for his safety, pray for guidance and strength when he has a hard test, and to pray for his happiness. I love him enough to have said, "I'm proud you got into FAMU and will support your success there." I love him.

He loves me enough to support my struggles from eight states away. He loves me enough to give me that five quick minutes of his time when I miss him. He loves me enough to call and text when he can, to say good morning, to say goodnight. He loves me enough to think of me and my feelings--to know I miss him, but assure me that it is ok, to still comfort me when I'm sad--even though he isn't there physically. He loves me enough to continue to encourage me, when I want to give up. He loves me.

We both knew going into college together would be rough at times, but continue to let the good outweigh the bad, to pray for each other, to love and support each other, and to remember that we are doing this to better our lives with each other. Communication is always key.

So as I finish this, a little message to him,

I love you more than you know and while I will miss you over these next few months, I know we need this to succeed. Continue to do great things, study hard, and remember you can do this. Forever, Me.