My Issues With The Presidential Election

Why I'm hurt and how I'm dealing with it.

5
Public Domain Pictures

At 12:30 on November 8th, 2016 I went and voted in my first presidential election. I was excited, proud, and happy to be able to vote in my first presidential election for the First woman president. I went on with the rest of my day; I grabbed Starbucks, spent time with friends, and grabbed dinner. When I got back to my dorm that night I sat with my friends and we waited for the numbers to come in.

All through out the night I held onto hope but not everyone on my floor did. some people were in tears and screaming, others went to bed before it was over because they couldn't take it anymore. The floor below us had people in tears and having panic attacks. I stayed up until 3 a.m. that night and the next day I slept till 11. I woke up and as soon as I left my room found a group of my friends sitting in the lounge. Some of them had been crying. There had been teachers crying, students crying and people were physically ill.

At my school I am heavily involved in our gender and sexuality alliance. After a while of mourning with my friends I went to our office knowing that some of my friends would be there. Later on I went to a brave space my school hosted to discuss this election.

I have watched people cry and shake and be utterly devastated over this election. I myself feel hollow inside. I am scared and I am sad and I am angry.

This election has brought out a lot of people's true colors and thoughts as well as torn a lot of people apart. Through my fear and sadness I have a few clear thoughts.

As I go on Facebook I see many articles on why not all republicans, especially millennial republicans are not racist, homophobic, bigots in general.

I get that, really I do. here's the thing though; you might not believe in those bigoted things. you may believe simply in the economic ideals and general ideals of the republican party and that's fine. But the candidate you voted for has no actual background in politics or a knowledge of how our system really works. So although you voted for him because you believe in the republican party you voted for bigotry because he has no actual knowledge.

Many people also feel like a lot of the protests are unnecessary and we need to suck it up. Although I don't necessarily agree with the burning of flags I do agree with protesting. We need to stand up for what we believe in. We need to fight for what we believe in and to be heard. We can't let our rights be taken away. but we can not be violent and we cannot stoop to the level on insults and violence. Violence will do nothing.

We need to rise up and fight the hate with love. So even though I am sad and devastated and angry I am going to rise up peacefully and fight this.