Why I'm Proud To Be Daddy's Little Girl

Why I'm Proud To Be Daddy's Little Girl

And I Couldn't Be More Happy About it

6
Why I'm Proud To Be Daddy's Little Girl
Samantha Lewis

To anyone that knows me, they know how important my dad is to me, and how close I am to him. For whatever reason, he's my go-to, my gal pal, and my best friend. Somewhere along the line we discovered the same love for the Beatles, that we both suffer from Resting Bitch Face, we both laugh at our own stupidity, and we both do our best to live life to the fullest no matter what obstacles life throws at us. He's taught me so much and I can't say how thankful I am for him. I am proud to say that 20 years later, I'm still daddy's little girl and have no shame whatsoever saying that. Here are some reasons why I love him so much.

He's always trying to make me laugh (even though I used to find it embarrassing when I was little). Whether it be with a corny dad joke, or his weird videos he sends me to cheer me up, he's always looking to make me laugh. (Even when I'm not in the mood for it).

He's always down for a lunch date. Whether it be hibachi or McDonalds, He will always do his best to clear his schedule for me to go on a lunch date. A lunch date for us generally means that we'll be sitting in Boston Market for 3 hours having life talks about pretty much everything. Those are my favorite times with my dad, even if we just sit at home and make grilled cheese, we always make a point to make useful sense of our time.

He wants what's best for me. Although I never realized it, everything I used to see as pestering and annoying- me asking questions about my friends and boyfriends- was just to make sure I was doing what was best for me. Now, when he asks me what I'm up to at school and everything, I make sure to stop and see if it's what's best for me.

He's made me face my fears. In many ways, quite literally. He opened me up to the world of Stephen King, The Walking Dead, and 80s horror movies. But seriously, he always pushes me to work for what I'm afraid of, and to go for things I never thought I could do. Now, I'm more ambitious and care-free because I know that "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take".

He's always the first person I call in a crisis. Even if I know he's at work, and even if it's a stupid crisis, I always call him first. It usually starts off with him telling me to calm down and I'm being dramatic (big surprise there), and we work it out. He pretty much drops everything to make sure the conversation doesn't end unhappily. My mom always says "it's never good to go to bed mad", and they both make sure I never do.

He gives the best advice (even when he doesn't take it himself). Every conversation we have is pretty much a big bundle of advice. We both go back and forth about our days and give each other life lessons on just about everything. I feel like I'm talking to a philosopher day in and day out. With paragraphs of inspirational quotes, motivation, and him responding to my sad tweets, he's always giving me advice. It's much easier to give advice than take it yourself, so once in a while I have to remind him of that.

He never has to ask how I am, he just knows (somehow). No matter what time of day it is or what form of conversation we're having, he knows what my mood and my vibes are. Just by my "hello", he knows what kind of day I've had and will do everything to fix it. The same goes for me with him, by his "good morning sweetie", I know what side of the bed he woke up on, and how our day is going to go.

He's always going to be there for me. When I was little, I never imagined how close I would be with my dad, and I wouldn't take back a second of it. Since being in England, when people always say "who are you always texting?" 9 times out of 10 it's him. It's never a chore to give him an update on my life, we just do it naturally. Some people my age are embarrassed to be close with their parents and think they're too cool for them, but I could never imagine being like that with him. More often than not, when I'm out, I wish I was home watching weirdo movies with him instead. We both are always on different schedules at all times, but always find time for each other. He always told me he'd watch paint dry with me, and I never understood why, but now I do. I wouldn't want to watch paint dry with anyone else.