Actually, College Doesn't Ruin Relationships

My relationship has lasted through college, and so can yours.

1089
Stacie / Flickr

Being in a long-term relationship can be difficult, however, in college it's different. Dating in college is easy, for many reasons. You see that person all the time and you know what they are doing for most of the day. In college, you don't have that, especially if your significant other doesn't go to college with you.

I have been in two long-term relationships in my life, both of which were my only real relationships (real as in they weren't an elementary school childish thing). I am currently still in a relationship with a guy who I started seeing my sophomore year of high-school. Being in a relationship for as long as I have, there are times where I question what I am doing. I question whether or not I am really in love with this person or whether I am just comfortable. Every long-term relationship has these moments, and in my first long-term relationship that is what broke us up (along with other reasons).

However, in my current relationship, my boyfriend always seems to remind me why I am still with him.

Starting college I was afraid the distance (not seeing each other every day) would be too hard to handle, and it wasn't easy at first. We would talk on the phone all the time and text non-stop, but that didn't last long because of how busy we eventually got. Being apart from him all the time has given me the time and space to figure out who I am. It has given me an opportunity to grow as a person, without the growing pains of my relationship that would come with it. I have been able to work on myself without it affecting my partner in a way that would tear us apart.

Now I realize, going to college has, not only benefited me and my career, but has benefited my relationship as well. I can be on campus all week, get what I need to get done and know that when I come home for the weekend he will be there.

This time apart has given him the freedom to discover himself as well. He didn't go to a traditional four-year college, so he has had some time to live in the real world and figure out what he wants to do for the rest of his life. I am so proud of the man he is becoming and the motivation he has to build a career he is passionate about.

I'm not saying our relationship has always been easy, but we have figured out how to make it work. For us, communication has been the most important thing to work on. Along with communication, trust is also important given the distance between us (even though we are only about 45 minutes away). I know he is working and having fun with his buddies and I make sure that I am not making him feel guilty for doing so. We are still young and I don't want to control every part of his life like some girls tend to do.

With all that being said, I love my boyfriend so much. He has been so supportive and so caring throughout all the years we have been together (we started dating 10/19/13). He has been patient with me, especially when it came to teaching me about his interests (which includes a lot of motocross and dirt bikes). He has been there through thick and thin, no matter how crazy life has gotten.

I am so proud to be his girlfriend. We have made so many memories, and have had so much fun together. I hope I make him as happy as he makes me, because he has made me the happiest girl in the world.