A Much Needed Vacation Can't Come Soon Enough

Fall break vacation is the best divisor of first semester.

107
PineRidge Hills

If you're lucky enough to have a school so kind as to allocate 10 days for a wonderful fall break to divide up first semester, you probably can't contain your excitement with vacation just around the corner. I apologize to my fellow students who don't get to enjoy as lengthy a vacation as my fellow DePauw Tigers and I, but us college students know that even one day off classes can be such a stress reliever. Any long weekend or vacation time is appreciated to go home, rest, eat good food, and try to get in as many traditional activities the fall brings in your hometown as possible. I'm looking forward to so many things fall break in Indy will bring me in the coming 10 days.

1. Spending quality time with the family.

Everyone gets homesick at some point while being away at college, and fall break is the perfect time to reconnect with those back home. Plus, your family has to love you and spend time with you, so you'll always have people to do stuff with, no matter if your high school friends are home or not.

2. Not doing homework.

Wow. Ten days of no homework. Or if you're in one of those really unfortunate circumstances, 10 days of procrastinating the absurd homework you were assigned over fall break until the Sunday night/Monday morning before you return to school. I will enjoy no classes or assignments for as long as I possibly can!

3. Eating a home-cooked meal.

Would you look at that... there truly is nothing better than mom's famous homemade spaghetti, chili, or whatever your favorite meal is. Holidays and vacations are the time to indulge in amazing food, while you can. And to top everything off with a homemade dessert...the definition of heaven.

4. Sleeping in your own bed.

Even if you think you have one of the comfiest beds in the dorm, with your three extra foam pads and Tempur-Pedic pillows, nothing beats a night in your own bed at home. It's always refreshing to get away from the noise and busyness of a dorm, fraternity, or sorority house, and enjoy an uninterrupted night's sleep in your own room.

5. Personal bathrooms.

6. Pets!

It's always a treat to see animals around campus, but going home means spending quality time with the pets of the family. There's nothing better than snuggling up with man's best friend all break long. Or, this could be the perfect time to offer up your pet-sitting services if your mom refuses to get you a puppy, like me.

7. Ultimate relaxation.

No matter what you choose to do with your free time over a break, the time for relaxation will be the best part. Most college kids claim to be bored the second they come home because they don't know what to do with themselves. Vacations from school are the only time we aren't insanely busy, or trying to do 18 things in a day when we really only have time for 7 or 8. It's a great time to just live instead of try and rule the world one step at a time, and one of my favorite times of the year to look forward to.

Fall break vacation is a much needed and much anticipated break of first semester. I can't even imagine how fast Christmas will come after we come back to campus...