Most Important Lessons About Love
relationships

10 Lessons About Love I've Learned The Hard Way From Being In A Relationship

It's not all smiles, but a good amount of it actually is.

551
Couple
I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for about nine months now and it's truly been a journey of plenty of laughs, cries, endless memories, and tons of love. Here are some of the things I've learned so far being in a relationship.

1. Communication is key

Unnecessary fights will continuously happen if there's no thorough communication going on with each other. That means sucking it up and saying how you feel even though you don't want to. I'm pretty guilty of this and it's been a HUGE learning experience for me to really open up.

2. Don't play the blaming game

It's hard to not blame one another when you're in the heat of the moment, but it will get you both absolutely nowhere. It's crucial to understand that you're not fighting against each other but that both of you are fighting together against the present problem. You're on the same team, so blaming your teammate will lead to both of you losing. Instead of blaming each other, play the "what you could work on next time" game.

3. You can overcome fights

Fighting with your boyfriend or girlfriend will never ever be a good feeling, and if it is, you might want to reconsider your whole relationship. Fights are normal in every relationship and even though it sucks to be having one at the moment, always remember that you CAN overcome it by learning from the mistakes and conversations. You might have a dull feeling within afterward, but remember to be there to comfort each other or give each other space when needed. Overcome and become stronger.

4. Be understanding

Being understanding of one another will be essential when one of you screws up or does something uncalled for. People make mistakes and it's important to understand that your S.O. will also make mistakes every now and then. If they continuously mess up, then maybe it's time to sit down and have a serious talk but besides that, try to take a step back and see it in a new perspective. Gain other views instead of your biased one.

5. Don’t be passive aggressive

Passive aggressive comments will get you nowhere. Saying “whatever" and “just forget it" is not helpful in any way, so just be direct with one another rather than the sarcastic comments.

6. Don’t let each other go to sleep upset

Yes, people need their space after a major fight, but letting each other sleep when they're upset or in a shitty mood is the worst way for them to wake up in the morning. Clear the air before you go to sleep or else you'll feel even more drained and upset.

7. Breaks can be healthy when needed but don’t turn to it every time it gets hard

Breaks are a good way to clear each other's minds and they're good to call when BOTH people are on board. But don't use this as a safety net to run away to every time things get a little hard.

8. Talk about everything and anything

Just because you're in a relationship for long doesn't mean the spark and conversation needs to die. Every day is a new chance to learn more about each other so don't stop having philosophical talks about the biggest ideas or the smallest details. Learn more and love more.

9. Don’t forget to show how much you appreciate them and that you love them

You can often get whisked in the moments and forget to tell your S.O. how much they mean to you and that you appreciate all the little things they do for you. Don't take that person for granted and remember to say “I love you."

10. RELATIONSHIPS ARE NOT EASY

OKAY Y'ALL, IF YOU'RE GOING INTO A RELATIONSHIP THINKING IT'S GOING TO BE "EASY," YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE A SERIOUS WAKE-UP CALL. Although most of the time it will be easygoing and chill, relationships take some serious work, so don't doubt yourself when you're going through a rough patch. Trust your instincts and make the right calls and understand that sometimes, you're doing the best you can.