The 18 Most Cringeworthy One Direction Lyrics

Spoiler: One of them includes the phrase "chinny-chin-chin." Barf.

26184

Even though I’ve been an avid fan of One Direction’s music for many years, I can't lie and say they’ve always struck lyrical gold. While they've gotten significantly better in the songwriting game, let's take a look at some of their weirdest lines.

Here are some their cringiest and weirdest lyrics from throughout the years. Ahem.

1. “And if we get together, yeah get together, don’t let the pictures leave your phone.” — Live While We’re Young
I think we all low-key know this is about nude photos. It sounds kind of threatening, doesn’t it? I can feel the passive aggressive “Ho, don’t let anyone see my nudes! :) :)” undertone in this line that’s sung in such a pop and cheerful tone.

2. “What a mess I made upon your innocence.” — Gotta Be You
This sounds kind of gross and inappropriate. Think about it. Actually, don’t think about it. Unless you want to. Messy.

3. “We’re like na, na, na. Then we’re like yeah, yeah, yeah.” — Na, Na, Na
The cringeworthy part of this is how boring and elementary these lyrics are. These lyrics are really bad, and if you want an example of poor songwriting, this is a great example. Despite all of this, I cannot lie. This song is such a JAM.

4. “When I'm fat and old and my kids think I'm a joke 'cause I move a little slow when I dance.” — Act My Age
This whole song is just some kind of sick joke, it sounds like a drunken pirate pub song. I think (well, hope) the song was meant to be comedic, because the lyrics are seriously “quirky.”

5. “I'm dancin' alone, I'm praying, that your heart will just turn around.” — More Than This
This sounds so desperate. Can hearts even “turn around”? This whole song is so thirsty. One other lyric is literally the guy praying the girl will “see the light” and leave her boyfriend for him instead. Move on, man. Cringe.

6. “Don't even care about the table breaking. We only wanna have a laugh” — Up All Night
Well, SOMEONE HAS TO PAY FOR THAT, ZAYN. GOD. Damaging furniture is not a JOKE. I will continue to dance hardcore to this song, but I’m not pleased about the table breaking. Who even writes a song that mentions tables anyway?

7. “I like the way you smile with your eyes. Other guys see it but don’t realize that it's m-my loving” — Everything About You
There’s a lyric about “smizing.” Tyra Banks would be proud. The phrase “my loving” just makes me want to vomit, just a tad.

8. “Playing games in the street, kicking balls with my feet.” — Moments
OK, Moments is one of the BEST One Direction songs in existence. Fact. This lyric about kicking balls always makes me snicker a little in my head. Maybe it’s because my sense of humor is comparable to a 10-year-old’s or maybe it’s just a LITTLE weird that they injected a lyric about kicking balls in the middle of this sad ballad.

9. “Oh, I just wanna show you off to all of my friends, making them drool down their chinny-chin-chins.” — Kiss You
Chinny-chin-chins. That’s all I have to say. If reading this doesn’t make you want to grab a book of nursery rhymes, cry and fling it at Niall’s little Irish head than I don’t know what to tell you. This is probably the worst one yet, I thought it was a joke but it’s not.

10. “I reach for her hand and I say, 'Hey I been watching you all night' ... ” — C’mon, C’mon
Did you just ... did you just admit you were stalking me a little bit all night and watching me? Is that supposed to make me want to go home with you ‘cause it’s just making me afraid. Guys, never tell a girl you’ve been watching her all night. If you wanna be a little creepy keep it on the down low.

11. “I want you to rock me, rock me, rock me ... yeah! I want you to rock me, rock me, rock me ... yeah!” — Rock Me
This song is in my top One Direction songs, but even I will admit that the lyrics are super questionable and inappropriate. We all know that “rock me” is some kind of innuendo and when you hear hundreds of 12-year-olds singing it at a One Direction concert while hungrily eying Harry Styles, it becomes not only cringe-worthy, but also highly disturbing.

12. “I wanna see the way you move for me, baby. I wanna see the way you move for me, baby. I wanna see the way you move for me. I wanna see the way you move for me, baby. I wanna see the way you move for me, baby. I wanna see the way you move for me.” — Little Black Dress
You freakin’ wish that was a typo. You wish I accidentally typed that too many times. I didn’t. Little Black Dress is, in my personal opinion, the worst One Direction song that exists. This chunk of lyrics is one reason. The majority of the song are those lyrics over and over. How creepy is that? I’m not your personal exotic dancer, and I’m not moving for you, I am a strong and independent woman, here. LET ME LIVE.

13. “I can make your tears fall down like the showers that are British.” — Over Again
This is my favorite One Direction song, and I must acknowledge this funky lyric. Is this cleverly alluding to the fact that in rains a lot in London? It’s just so awkwardly phrased for the sake of rhyming, you know? It’s OK, I still love you, song. You’re still a great song you just make me cringe a little bit.

13. “If you ever feel alone — don't.” — Don’t Forget Where You Belong
OK, I took this out of context a little but this lyric actually makes me laugh. It’s literally them singing “Ah yes, you feel alone? Don’t.” The answer to your loneliness? Just don’t. Maybe I’m finding this more cringeworthy and funny than the average person. Maybe there’s a simple solution, maybe I shouldn’t really find this to be an awkward lyric. Solution: If you find this cringey — don’t.

14. “Went to a party just after the doctor talked to me. I met a girl, I took her right up to the balcony. I whispered something in her ear that I just can't repeat.” — Alive
ONE DIRECTION HAS SO MANY CREEPY LYRICS. To sum it up, this song is about a sex addict. He’s addicted to sex, and he went to a doctor, yet continues to be creepy and try to get with every girl he sees. The whole song is basically like “Hey, if you want to get with every girl you see it’s OK because it makes you feel alive!” Well then.

15. “Her mom calls me 'love', her dad calls me 'son'.” — Steal My Girl
OK, this might be the worst One Direction song in existence, I changed my mind. The lyrics are all just as cringeworthy as this one. The whole song is about everyone “tryna steal” his girl. The aforementioned girl is also described as having “kisses like cream” later in the song. What does this even mean, man?

16. “Her light is as loud as as many ambulances as it takes to save a savior, oh.” — Girl Almighty
WHAT THE F*** DOES THIS MEAN? I’ve tried to go into deep Buddha style meditation over the meaning of this lyric, and I still have no damn idea what this lyric could possibly mean. How is light loud? It doesn’t make sound! How many ambulances does it take to save a savior? Who or what is the savior? Jesus Christ? Is this some weird pseudo-Catholic song? NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE. If anyone can explain this lyric to me, I’ll give you The Nobel Prize right now.

17. “I know they’ll be coming to find me soon, but my Stockholm syndrome is in your room. Yeah, I fell for you!” — Stockholm Syndrome
This song is about Stockholm Syndrome, a real thing BTW, where you fall in love with your kidnapper. Where, pray tell, did One Direction get the inspiration for this? Are they trying to inspire psychotic 1D fans to kidnap them by singing about how they’ll fall in love with the kidnapper? I don’t know, but this song itself is disturbing (although super-catchy) and this lyric makes me feel like they’re saying “YOOOO. You kidnapped me you crazy b*tch, but it’s OK, I love you now! Lol.”

18. “Back seat of the cab. We're in the cab. My lips getting so attached. They're so attached.” — Little White Lies
This is so repetitive. We get it, bro. You’re in the cab and your lips are attached. It’s just super-weird to repeat everything you say two times in slightly different ways. You OK, man? Too much to drink? This song is still such a jam though — it has a ~*beat drop*~. Yeah, One Direction has a beat drop.

Even though I just totally ripped a bunch of lyrics to shreds, One Direction has a special place in my heart, and although I’m not as big of a fan as I used to be, I will never stop dancing and singing along to every song they have produced and will produce. Here’s to more super-awkward lyrics!