13 Canadian Stereotypes That Aren't Always True

We're more than moose and maple syrup.

2268

Unfortunately, I did not spend my winter break hunting wolverines in Alaska with my uncle. Not all of us are lucky enough to have extended family in the icy tundra like "Napoleon Dynamite." However, my mum’s side of the family does live in Canada, which is pretty much the same thing during the winter, and I did get the opportunity to visit them in early January. (I will go ahead and disclaim that no wolverines were harmed during the course of my trip.)

Canada is one of my absolute favorite places to be. I mean, there’s fresh air and fresh donuts--what’s not to love? It truly feels like home to me. Whenever I mention Canada or my half-Canadian genetic makeup to my friends, though, they immediately begin to mock me. They attack me on every Canadian stereotype possible. And, in true Canadian fashion, I laugh and apologize in return. Then they taunt me for how I say “sorry.” It never fails to amuse me how Americans view their northern neighbors. While some of the generalizations hold merit, because yes, Canadians do live for hockey, there are some accusations about the citizens of the Great White North that are exaggerated and ridiculous. Below, I’ve compiled a list of some of the more hyperbolic stereotypes that Americans label Canadians with in effort to clear the air a little. Because I promise, Canadians are a bit more than moose and maple syrup.

1. They ride moose to school.

Believe it or not, Canadians actually walk or drive cars or take the bus to get places. Just like we don’t ride horses to school in Texas, Canadians don’t ride moose.

2. Everyone lives in igloos.

Nope. They actually know what houses are in Canada, and surprisingly enough, they live in them. Only Inuits, and extreme survivalist types who reside in Yellowknife or Whitehorse, call huts of snow home.

3. Canadians drink maple syrup.

OK, maybe on a dare, but that’s no different from me taking shots of gravy because I was dared to. While the maple syrup in the Great White North definitely beats the syrup in the States, it’s still not good enough to chug out of a bottle. That’s reserved for pancakes and waffles only, please.

4. They say “eh” after every word.

OK, OK, Canadians are guilty of saying “eh”. However, it’s only (properly) used after a question.

5. They say “a-boot.”

Most Canadians actually say “about”, and not “a-boot”. Same goes for “out.” It’s not pronounced “oot.”

6. It’s permanently winter.

Now you’re just generalizing based off of the northern territories. Provinces like Ontario and Calgary experience seasons and even moderate temperatures in the summer.

7. Canadians only listen to Rush.

People seem to forget that Canada also produced Nickelback and The Barenaked Ladies and Justin Bieber. So there’s plenty of other artists to listen to.

8. They use monopoly money.

The bills might be more colorful than Americans are accustomed to, but most countries actually have colorful money. Additionally, because Canadian bills are plastic, they are harder to counterfeit and more durable than the paper money circulating in America.

9. Canadians are afraid of the dark.

I honestly have no idea where this sprung from. But I can assure you, most adults in Canada opt not to sleep with a nightlight.

10. Canadians only play and watch hockey.

I promise they play and watch other sports. And by other sports, I don't just mean curling. Basketball, soccer, and rugby are beloved by the nation as well.

11. Canadians have beavers as pet.

This is just silly. Have you ever tried to domesticate a beaver? Trust me, it’s not that easy.

12. Canadian bacon is just ham.

Well. Isn’t all bacon essentially ham?

13. Canadians drink a lot of beer.

OK, this one is 100 percent true. Canadians do love their beer.

It’s kind of funny how generalizations like these can come about. You observe a handful of citizens that fall into a pattern, and suddenly it comes to represent a whole country. And while it can be fun to poke fun of those stereotypes, you have to remember that they’re not always true, and that a country is more than a few quirks. It is its history, its culture. Just like America is more than bald eagles and Bud Light, Canada is more than moose and maple syrup.

From Your Site Articles