More Than Just A Gig

More Than Just A Gig

Nothing else compares.

14
More Than Just A Gig

It all started with me scrolling through my Facebook feed just to find a status from one of my friends saying that she and two other people from my high school are performing a gig at a vegan cafe called Life Alive in Cambridge tonight. This struck me a bit as a non-vegan. Having been tired from a long week of work, I was faced with the most difficult decision of the day: whether to go out and see some of my favorite musicians from my school perform after not seeing them for a while or stay at home to just relax but later regret missing the show. I finally made up my mind choosing to attend the show and I gotta say that I have no regrets from the get-go.

I arrived at the cafe just to feel overwhelmed by the sight of a long line of people starting from the entrance waiting to order food. It was a vibrant place with the walls painted a tangerine color and the menus painted a brick color. The railings going downstairs were lime green. There was loud music blaring from the speakers as well as some smooth jazz coming from downstairs. “That must be my friends!” I thought. I could hear everything through the chattering of the people. I decided to order the cafe’s signature dish, the Goddess. On my way downstairs, I said hi to some people from my school who just entered the cafe. Couple seconds later, I sat at a long elliptical table and saw the performers playing their piece. Later, friends from my school joined me.

Here is some background information about the performers: They all graduated from high school last June (like I did). They were a part of the school’s jazz band. One day they happened to jam together which turned into a jazz band within a jazz band. The trio already has a few recordings. The names of the members are Jory, Neda, and Tristan. Jory plays bass, Neda plays the drums, and Tristan plays electric guitar and piano.

While Tristan’s electric guitar and piano playing were very prominent, Neda’s drumming and Jory’s bass playing were the backbones of the music. While their roles may be repetitive throughout the pieces, they keep Tristan in check. The drums and the bass set the rhythm of the pieces. Side note: Neda is a girl and like I said, she plays the drums. I think many people associate playing drums with guys. I am very happy to see Neda playing drums. Women empowerment on point.

I happily listened to the trio play their music. There was a wide range of tempos you would expect from hearing them play. One second a piece would be slow like soft rock and then the next second it would suddenly be fast and upbeat. While the music was not rock and roll fast, it was still catchy enough to make you move around. Later, Tristan switched from guitar to keyboard. I was blown away by how amazing he was at piano and how dexterous his fingers are. This was especially exciting since it sounded like classical piano and that I am a pianist myself. I never really liked jazz until I chose to go to my school’s jazz band concert last spring to support my friends. While only three of the jazz band members were performing during this gig, they never failed to bring out the vibe you would get from seeing the entire jazz band.

Peep Tristan playing keyboard

A few minutes into seeing the performance, my dish came. In my bowl were tofu, beets, kale, broccoli, carrots, and brown rice topped with Ginger Nama Shoyu Sauce creating a beautiful blend of colors. There are certain vegetables I really do not like such as mushrooms, eggplant, and peppers so I had a feeling I would not like beets despite wanting to eat them after seeing them on TV as a child. So I chose to eat everything in my bowl except for beets. But eventually, I asked a friend what beets taste like and she said they are very sweet. Then, I began eating the beets and thought they were yummy. I guess I can say my life is complete now.

The Goddess, my dish

Not only I was eating and listening to the performers but I was also talking to everyone around me. From saying hello to some sweet small talk about our summers and our new chapters just ahead of us, it felt like I was spending time with people who I hung out with regularly. One highlight of the conversations: I learned that around half of those people, including my best friend, work at a local eatery called Pure Cold Press where cold juices, smoothies, and veggie sandwiches are served. When I told my best friend that I plan on going there soon, she said that she will give me a discount and I joyfully gave her a peck on the cheek. I also learned that the tip jar there is decorated with names of the colleges the employees are going to.

To say the least, this was a perfect night at a perfect place hence the name, Life Alive. This is the place is where everything comes alive: the music, vegan food that I never knew could be so delicious, and the great camaraderie I had with everyone no matter how often we have seen each other. It is a nice surprise being able to interact with people from school during summer break especially the one before college. Thank you Neda, Tristan, and Jory for that lively night.