You Are More Than A Box Of Parts

You Are More Than A Box Of Parts

You may wish you had a thigh gap, but God made you the way he did for a purpose.

5
You Are More Than A Box Of Parts

Today in my psychology class we talked about how society and common culture have such a strong impact on how we view ourselves. My professor asked us to consider if we saw ourselves as a whole being or as parts of a whole, and I realized that I, along with so many of my beautiful friends, men and women alike fall into the second category. When we look in the mirror and pick out a body part, be it our stomachs, thighs, or any other part and think about how we would like to change it, we neglect to see ourselves the way God created us, beautifully and in his own image. In Psalm 139:14 David declares “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.” As someone who struggles daily with self-confidence, I know that it is easier said than done to just put aside insecurities, as it is something that I am working on myself. However, I encourage you to look in the mirror and say aloud “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made!” Say it over and over again until it moves from your head to your heart. You may not like your hips, you may wish you had a thigh gap, but God made you the way he did for a purpose. We don’t know what that purpose is, and we know until the time is right, but there is a reason that you are you.

Last year around February, there was a trend on Facebook and Instagram called the #20BeautifulWomen challenge, where if nominated, you had to post a picture of yourself that made you feel beautiful, and tag 20 beautiful women in your life. I know for me personally, it was so much harder to find a picture of myself where I felt pretty, then it was to tag 20 of my friends. I realize now, as a college freshman how awful that is. I’ve realized while being here, for the first time away from home, how low my self-confidence is, and most importantly how easy it is to search for it in the wrong places. If we continue to search for assurance in the way we compare ourselves to others, or the number of likes we get on Instagram (as cliché as is that is) then we are never going to find it.

We must look to God to find the assurance we are seeking. Don’t get me wrong. I am not saying it’s wrong to work out to try to lose a few pounds or to dye your hair but ask yourself why you are doing it. Is it because it’s what society wants or is it what you want? Don’t let society cut you up into pieces. Love yourself as the whole person that God created you as. Most importantly know how much he loves you. When you feel like the world is slapping you in the face, and when you feel like there is nobody in your corner, know that God is there with you. He spoke the world into existence, but he took the time to mold you, in his own image, and he loves you with all his heart.