To My Liberal Peers, From A Conservative, In A Conservative State
Politics

We don't always agree, but that doesn't mean one of us doesn't belong here.

599
Lauren Picard

I identify as a conservative.

Most of my values align with right-side beliefs. I'm partial to tradition and I am religious - these aspects of my values have created some, for lack of a better word, awkward interactions, but they are the core of my values and morals. Some may call them "old fashioned" or "anti-progressive." And whether said affectionately or begrudgingly (the latter is far more common these days), there's no denying that there is some truth to both.

Even so, my values have always been my values.

The state I live in - Montana, Big Sky Country, the Treasure State - is a mostly conservative state, and I've always believed that that's one of the reasons I love the state as much as I do.

I connect with it on a relatively deep level.

It's an agriculture-heavy, Ariat and Carhartt-infatuated expanse of land, its men and women brandishing tough hands, hearts, and lifestyle steeped in tradition. The way of life found throughout its mountains, valleys, and plains interest me and are more aesthetic to me than the opposite lifestyle within a concrete jungle.

My college town is heavily liberal, naturally so. A city of learning, progressing, and advocating, it's a hub in the middle of a conservative landscape.

It tends to act as a kind of "safe zone" for those who tend to have more left-leaning beliefs and values. And when I'm with my more conservative friends, the topic of my college town and how liberal it is often comes up, and the fact that it's sometimes an uncomfortable place for us to be and live.

That being said, I have something to say to my liberal counterparts;

I am happy you have a place here.

This state and which we live, yes, supports a massive amount of conservative lifestyle and heritage. But it is a massive state, and there is so much to be found and done and experienced here.

Despite my own right-side leanings and the right-side leanings of this state, I'm happy that this college town has given you your safe haven, your home base, and your place of progression and advocation.

Yes, some of my own fellow conservatives display immature and, quite frankly, awful behavior towards you with their bumper stickers and their apparel and the words that come out of their mouths. And I wish that I could apologize for them and have it mean anything to all of you. But I know your skin is tough and that you all are keeping your heads high.

I am so thankful that you have found a place here in such a beautiful environment, where you can experience some of the country's most special landscapes, history, and peace. I may not agree with you on much, but I am glad to live here alongside you and hear your story. I hope you stay here for a long time.