Here's to You, Mom

Here's to You, Mom

I am because you are.

11
Here's to You, Mom

Growing up, it is always a daughter's one love and one fear to become best friends with their mom. If you are anything like my mom and I, you are almost too much alike to where being best friends is almost impossible yet totally possible. Now I am not saying that we don't gossip, share laughter and tears, go shopping, or enjoy each other's company (on a good day) but we know our boundaries when it comes to crossing the mother and daughter relationship. Our relationship continues to go from being really strong, to drifting, then back to being strong again. High school put quite the damper on our closeness because I spent most of my time doing homework after school, hanging out with my friends, or playing sports and by the time I got home I just wanted to lay in my bed. I mean what teenager doesn't spend most of their time in their rooms? While most of our conversations are one of us nagging at the other or repeatedly texting "K." because one of us is annoyed, there are a million things that I don't thank my mom for or take the time to appreciate. Sometimes I see how close certain daughters are with their mothers and I can't help but wish that was me. Sometimes I see a daughter talk back to their mother and I realize, thank goodness that isn't me.

"You are just like your mother." I sure hope I am because if I wasn't, who else would I want to be like?

My mom is incredible. My mom is invincible. My mom is beautiful. My mom is kind hearted. My mom is human.

Everything I am, you helped me to be.

Not every mom is cool, I just got lucky to have one that is cool enough to take me to Justin Bieber concerts and listen to me sing awfully at all of his songs.

Here's to you, Mom,

There just is not enough words in the English, Spanish, Chinese, or French, language to show you and tell you how important you are, how much I love you, and how completely blessed I have been to have you. You are not just my mother; you are my role model, my rock, my inspiration, and my backbone. The older I have grown, the more I feel as though we lost touch, maybe because you don't always agree on my choices but I hope someday I make you proud. Sure, I won't always make you the happiest and at times you will be disappointed in me but I have come to the realization that it's life-- you will spend most days upset with me and the rest thinking extremely high of me. We aren't always going to get along or agree on things but that's what happens between a mother and a daughter. I know that whenever I need someone to talk to, you are a phone call away. I know that whenever I need advice, you are all ears. I couldn't have done my first year away from home at college without you or your 5 paragraph motivation texts when you know I am stressed.

I miss your hugs, your constant yelling, your laugh until you almost pee, your helpful hands, and let's not forget-- your essential oils, feather pillows, and junk food.

Someday when I graduate from college, I know it'll be worth it. It will be worth it that I have missed so much over the years since I have been away at school. It will be worth it that I missed all of yours and Dad's anniversaries. It will be worth it that I missed Brynne's first high school softball game, Landon's first band concert, and Peyton's Varsity football games. Right now, it doesn't seem with it but you let me know that it will be with your pictures and videos, making me feel like I am always there.

When I turned 18, I knew college was calling my name and I couldn't wait to get out of the house and be on my own. I wanted freedom because being under my parents' roof made me feel suffocated, controlled. Moving out would give me the ability to have my own independence and ability to do whatever I wanted when I wanted and I knew I wouldn't need their permission for any of it-- I was wrong. While they never asked me where I was going or who I was with, I always hoped they would and sometimes I still do. I find myself feeling abandoned and hurt because I am no longer their worry but that's what I wanted, wasn't it? No one warned me how hard it would be to clean, function, and of course, cook without them around. My mom was no longer there to do my laundry, pack my lunch every day for school, or pick me up from soccer practices every day. I was on my own. Being on my own showed me how little I appreciated growing up with parents who were willing to live and breathe air for me. A mom who would have ran around the world 100 times to make sure she made it to my games on time. My mom wasn't there to help pick up my slack when I was overwhelmed with too many things. She wasn't there to make suggestions about life, finish straightening the back of my hair because I had missed a spot, critic my outfit, or make really lame jokes.

The things that were handed to me or familiar to me were no longer there and because of this, it brought a whole new appreciation to the way I view my family especially my mom. My mom means more than anything to me now compared to the way I looked at her in high school, but I know that is how most teen girls are with their moms. Forever I am grateful for the life and opportunities that she has given me and will continue to grant me with. The love a mother has for her daughter can be bent but never broken. Remember to cherish every moment spent with your mother because some people don't get the beautiful times with her that you do and someday you won't get them anymore.

I love you to the moon and back, to infinity and beyond, Mom.

Love Forever and Always,

Your baby girl