5 Misconceptions Non-Depressed People Have About Depressed People

Depression is realer than ever.

275
Deviant Art

Depression; one of the scariest things someone can experience. Everyone often experiences sadness, especially after difficult times. But depression is everlasting and a clinical illness. What most non-depressed people don’t understand is that it is a disease and out of our control.

1. “It’s all in your head.”

Many people think that depression is just a phase and someone can easily snap out of it. That is extremely false. While non-depressed people have a positive attitude towards everything and are happy go lucky, depressed people have a hard time. Clinical depression is due to a lack of chemicals in the brain, whether that is serotonin, dopamine or another one.

2. "What happened to make you depressed?”

One of the hardest things to explain to a non-depressed person is how and why you’re feeling the way you are. Most people do not understand and only think depression can occur when something bad happens. Depression can happen at any time and for any reason. Nothing bad has to happen for someone clinically depressed to experience depression. Depression can come out of nowhere, even when nothing is wrong. This makes it impossible to explain to non-depressed people why we feel the way we do because there is no reason behind it.

3. "Why are you isolating yourself?”

Since it is almost impossible to control states of depression, they'd rather be alone to avoid hurting people or being moody for no reason. Non-depressed people can experience difficulty watching loved ones go through phases of depression since they just want to help, but most depressed people rather be alone. Depressed people often fear of letting others down, refraining from being involved with others.

4. "You’re being so lazy.”

One term depressed people HATE to hear. Depression can take a toll on the body, mentally, emotionally and physically. Due to lack of chemicals in the brain, depressed people lack the energy to even do everyday tasks. Often depressed people experience a slump in the middle of their day, causing them to have no motivation and be extremely tired. Non-depressed people need to understand that depression can affect the body causing headache, joint pains, muscle fatigue, and restlessness.

5. "When are you going to cheer up?”

Honestly, this question is impossible to answer. There is no magic medication or cure to make depression go away. Depression is a disease and sometimes diseases are incurable. Medications may be used to suppress depression, but depression is something you live with, it becomes a part of you.

Depression is a mental illness that affects everyday life. People suffering from depression are hard to pick out from a crowd since they often fake smiles. The best thing to do to help a person struggling with depression is to be there. Be there mentally, emotionally and physically. Offer kind words and encourage positivity.

Depression; living in a body that fights to survive with a mind that tries to die.