Minnesota Twins Make History

Minnesota Twins Make History

The Minnesota Twins punch their ticket to the playoffs,
71

After a 103 game loss season last year, the Twins are back in the playoffs with the clinch of the second wild card spot, which makes them the first team in baseball history to make it to the playoffs the following year after a 100+ game loss season. This is the first time since 2010, inaugural season at Target Field, that the Twins have made it into the playoffs.

Tuesday night, September 26th, the Twins had a rough start in the opening game of the series against the Cleveland Indians, but they came back with a win with a score of 8-6. Highlights from the game include a phenomenal catch from the Twins center fielder, Byron Buxton, and a three-run home run from Brian Dozier, which gave the Twins a two-run lead. Coming out with a win during Tuesday's night game made the Twins magic number to get into the playoffs, one.

The Indians are currently the number one team in the AL Central League and have already claimed their spot in the playoffs.

The Twins suffered a tough loss on Wednesday night against the Indians with the only two runs of the night coming in during the top of the ninth inning. There were only two ways the Twins could claim that last wild card spot Wednesday night: they would need to win against the Indians or the Los Angeles Angels would need to lose against the Chicago White Sox. The LAA and CWS game gave all Twins fans and players the ride of their lives. Going into extra innings, with a tied score of 4-4, the White Sox pulled ahead with a two-run home run in the bottom of the tenth inning from Nicky Delmonico. The Angels were eliminated from the post-season contention giving the Twins the last wild card spot.

The Twins spent their night in the club house at Progressive Field, patiently waiting for the White Sox to come out with the win.

"We had everything set up and with it going into extra innings, we thought this might be the biggest letdown ever but, Nicky Delmonico is my favorite player." said Twins second baseman, Brian Dozier, in an interview.

Joe Mauer, first baseman and a thirteen-year native to the Minnesota Twins, is the only player still on the team from the last time the Twins made the playoffs in 2010. Mauer had a few rough seasons not being able to find his bat, but Mauer is back and healthy and doing Mauer things again hitting a .305/.381/.417.

Let's not forget about stand-out centerfielder Byron Buxton, who should be given the Golden Glove already for his insane plays made out in the outfield. He holds a new record for most consecutive stolen bases in a season, breaking the old record of 22 bases stolen from 1994. Buxton is also hitting a .255/.317/.418.

Minnesota is likely headed for a wild card match up with the New York Yankees in New York, Tuesday October 3rd. This match up is going to be another obstacle for the Twins to overcome after their four out of six game loss against the Yankees this year.

It's time to beat those Yankees.