Millennials And The Quarter-Life Crisis: A Period Of Magic And Misery

The Quarter-life Crisis is a period in the life of millennials where extreme anxiety regarding transitioning into adulthood is experienced.

149

As I take my seat before class begins, I am unable to ignore the conversation being held by two of my fellow classmates:

“I am graduating in a few weeks. I don’t even know what I can do with my degree. Do you think it’s too late to change my major? Of course it is. I don’t have time to start over,” says one girl.

“I know what you mean. I feel like I’m having some sort of Quarter-life crisis, except I’m too broke to go out and buy a Mustang like middle-aged men are expected to do during their Midlife Crisis.”

The Quarter-life Crisis: When I asked my parents if they had experienced such an anxious and uncertain period in their college or early work years of work, I was presented with a confused look and no answers. I can’t blame them for not understanding. They grew up in a time where getting a college degree insured a job. That was a time when most young adults were married by the time they were 25. Since the Great Recession during the Bush Administration in 2008, housing prices have been rising significantly, as well as college tuition; a significant increase in job growth has yet to happen. As a result, millennials entering college and the working world are faced with fierce competition and limited opportunities.

Since millennials are having more trouble than previous generations with finding financial stability and job security, the age at which they are moving out of their folks’ homes and being independent or married, is older than they ever expected. It is also an age much older than their parents or grandparents were when they became solely independent. While past generations were typically living on their own between the ages of 21-25, many current young adults are spending those years finishing their degree and searching for decent paying positions.

The average millennial typically finds sustainable independence somewhere between the ages of 26-30. This delayed independence causes much anxiety and frustration as they compare their life experience and readiness to the lives of more established and distinguished role models. Many of us feel as if we are running in place:

The Pressures of Taking on the Role of Adult:

“I think people romanticize their early 20's as this great age where you are given so much freedom and opportunity and so many great things are happening. In reality, it's a time where so much stress is put on us. We are pressured by society, our families and ourselves to make these difficult decisions we might not be ready to do. We are supposed to know exactly what we want to do with our lives career-wise and know exactly the type of people we want to be. There is so much pressure put on us to have it all figured out. It's like the minute we stop being teenagers, we are supposed to have all of the answers and our shit together.” - Ashley, 22. CUNY Hunter Creative Writing Major

“Thinking about going through a quarter-life crisis in this day and age is daunting. We are predicted to be the first generation to do worse than our parents. That makes every step towards the future vital.”- Al, 24. SUNY Albany Political Science Major

“I feel like at 24, I'm going through a transition to being an “adult” adult. I feel like this is my last year to do dumb reckless things that won't screw up my future. I don’t want to look like an almost 25-year old who can’t 'grow up.' I guess I feel like my time is running out to do wild and crazy things before trying to move on to the next step of my life, which is setting up for my 30s. I feel like that means looking for a stable career and somebody who can be my wife to have kids with and make a living together to help my kids through the generation in which they will be raised.” - Shawn, 24. CVS Shift Supervisor

“I felt like everything I'd visualized for my early adulthood wasn't coming true at 25, even though I had an enviable career path, good friends, no debt and a supportive church group.” - Dana Perino, 43. Former White House Press Secretary

Am I Making the Right Career and Life Choices?

“My quarter-life crisis was changing majors, switching colleges and moving back in with my folks. My self-esteem took a hit because I suddenly felt like I wasn't sure of my direction, and the loss of the autonomy I had when I was living on my own gave rise to emotions of frustration and resentment. It was my first date upon returning that reminded me that I’m still the same person people liked, and that while my situation changed, I had not. That helped in overcoming my doubts.”- Greg, 23. SUNY New Paltz Alumni, Journalism Major

“I think I have been swaying back-and-forth amidst a quarter-life crisis. I tend to look at the successful recent graduates around me and fear I won't be able to gain as good of a job after college. Knowing the steps I have to implement to get from here to my future career gives me a sense of uncertainty of whether I am on the right path.” - Shannon, 22. SUNY New Paltz Business Administration Major

“After I was done with my associate degree, I really didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. The future scared the shit out of me. When sociology interested me, I decided to attend Albany. Going on my own and leaving everyone from home was nerve-racking. A couple times I almost wanted to say ‘Screw it!’ and not go. But I knew I would regret it immensely if I didn't do it and have the experience and try.” - Jackie, 21. SUNY Albany Sociology Major

“I found it really hard after college to get into my career. Nobody was hiring, and the ones that were wanted years and years of experience. I couldn't afford law school so I had to re-route my immediate plans. I had to settle for a security job. All the job rejections made me think I was going to be stuck as mall security for years like some of the guys I worked with. It made me think about what choices I made in college and other paths I could have followed. I felt overqualified and searched for other positions. I took a limo-dispatching job before obtaining my current police job. I don't regret the path I took to get to my current career, but it was rough for a while.”- Robert, 24. Police Dispatcher. Bridgewater University Alumni Criminal Justice Major

“It's unrealistic to say I've had a ‘quarter-life crisis,’ because that is putting it mildly. I find myself constantly questioning the decisions I make. The college I choose, the major and career path I choose, the people I'm surrounding myself with. It's a weird time in life because you are supposed to be that "young fun person," but also have a life plan. I barely feel like an adult, yet I have to make these adult decisions like taking out loans or if I should take that internship or not."- Ashley, 22. CUNY Hunter Creative Writing Major

Am I Staying True to Myself... Is My Current Path The One I Want?

“What if I don't have what it takes for my field? Am I making a mistake? Are my grades good enough? Am I taking enough risks? What if this isn't who I am and I will not be happy? I have felt the pressure of the external environment to define what career paths are more successful, and as I narrow down choices that bring wealth and security, I end up unsure if I'm staying true to myself. After thinking all this, I always attempt to create all these alternative plans in case my path fails or makes me unhappy.” - Shannon, 22. SUNY New Paltz Business Administration Major

“It would be more responsible to go down a career path more financially secure than teaching. Would the money be worth tossing aside my passions? Would the younger version of me be proud of the conflicted and struggling college student that I am? I don’t even know who I am. I am more familiar with who I want to be. That version of me seems very out of reach some days, mostly because of the pressure to become as successful as the greats who came before our generation.”- Jessica, 22. SUNY New Paltz Secondary Education Major

These feelings of anxiety resonate differently in every young adult. My Quarter-life Crisis lies in the conflict of having a vision of who I’d like to be and possibility of never achieving my dreams. I worry I lack the skills, time and opportunities. I admittedly have no answer or resolution for my own anxieties, except to always put my best effort toward becoming who I want to be.

So what do we, The Millennials, make of this looming anxiety in a world that challenges our security and dreams? Shake it off? Hide in our childhood rooms forever?

Breathe. I think breathing is a good place to start.

Though we are the most challenged generation, we are also the most adaptable generation to grace this earth. Through several technological advances that have revolutionized education and careers, we have been able to evolve our skills alongside these rapid changes. I don’t think that we, as millennials, give ourselves enough credit for that. There is nothing that we have been presented with that we have not taken in stride. We have watched cassette tapes evolve into iPods. Book and music collections exist in pocket size devices. Feminists, Gays, Minorities, and Trans communities have started a revolution for equality while the world is at constant war. We have lived through amazing, miserable, and magical transitions in this world. We can prevail through our own tedious transitions with grace and progress.

My advice to us all: Let us believe in our struggles and believe in working through obstacles as a means of becoming a better version of ourselves. The road to success may be one with many sharp turns and speed bumps compared to that of our parents. It is a road with many tears and frustration, but it is also a road full of joyous and wondrous memories of friends and classmates traveling with us and enriching our lives. Some of the best moments of our lives will happen while overcoming our greatest struggles. Our feelings and concerns are valid but do not forget that our dreams and aspirations are too. I think the best way to overcome our Quarter-life Crisis' is to embrace the progress we make. It is important to focus on the dreams we have over the obstacles in our paths. There has never been a success story that was not laden with persistence, dedication, and passion. Keep on keeping on, fellow millennials.