The Difference Between Miami University And University Of Miami
Campuses

8 Struggles Of Attending Miami University, NOT The University Of Miami

Love and honor.

2197
Caroline Wagner

When most people hear "Miami," they immediately picture palm trees, blue skies and warm beaches. This is definitely understandable as the only Miami most people know is Miami, Florida. In fact, until my junior year of high school, that was the only Miami that I knew. However, in a far-away land called Oxford, Ohio, amongst many cornfields and far from any palm trees or beaches, there's another Miami: Miami University. Filled with beautiful red brick buildings and open, grassy quads, Miami University is vastly different from University of Miami.

While being a student there is wonderful (it's obviously the best school), every MU student knows it can also be a struggle...

The disappointment of other people when they find out where you actually go to school. 

The minute people hear "Miami," their faces light up as they imagine Miami, Florida. However, as soon as they realize that you're talking about Ohio, not Florida, their faces drop and you no longer feel so special.

You have to remember to add on "of Ohio" at the end of Miami University whenever you tell people where you go to school. 

To further my last point, if you don't specify that you go to Miami University OF OHIO, they will automatically assume that you go to the University of Miami in Florida and will excitedly talk about how nice it must be to go to school in a place with such beautiful weather and beaches.

There are probably people who still think you go to school in Florida.

Relatives, friends, neighbors... Yep, most of them thought you were going to school in Florida at some point. Depending on how long you've been there, some still may, which makes for some awkward conversations at family reunions and neighborhood parties.

People wrote, "good luck at University of Miami" on your graduation cards.

Even if they know that you go to school in Ohio, many people still wrote this on your graduation cards, and they also write, "I hope you're having a great time at University of Miami" on your Facebook wall for your birthday. Because after all, they're basically the same, right? Wrong. But I guess it's the thought that counts.

Winter.

Despite your fierce loyalty to your school, when winter rolls around and you can't feel your face by the time you make the walk from one end of campus to the other, you find yourself wondering why you chose Miami University instead of University of Miami.

Explaining to everyone you meet why there's a school in Ohio called Miami.

No, Miami University has absolutely no affiliation to the University of Miami. It was named for the Miami Native Americans who resided in southwest Ohio.

When people ask you if you're *sure* that Miami University isn't in Florida.

Um, YES I'm sure. If Miami University was in Florida I can promise you that I would be a whole lot tanner than I am.

Trying to prove to people that Miami University is actually the original Miami.

After all, Miami University was founded in 1809 when Florida still belonged to Spain! Miami, Florida wasn't incorporated until 1896 and the University of Miami has only been around since 1925 (a whopping 116 years after Miami University was established!).

While, yes, I do sometimes ask myself why I go to school in Ohio instead of Florida, I love my Miami and wouldn't trade it for anything.