A Message To Families Of Little Athletes

Remember, they're children.

7
Boston Globe

This past weekend, my cousin participated in a U8 Coach Pitch all star tournament in Carmichaels, Pennsylvania ("U8 Coach Pitch" simply means that the children who participate are eight-years-of-age or younger, and the coaches pitch to the players). I can proudly say that I attended every game in which he played and was one of his biggest supporters when he walked off the diamond the most valuable player in their first contest.

However, when the dust settled and the final out was called, it wasn't his stellar play or the team's comeback runner-up finish that remained in the forefront of my mind. Instead of focusing on the positive, I couldn't shake the negative comments made throughout the tournament by parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles of the children who played against my cousin.

To set up what they said, I have to first give proper context.

Whenever a child in my family does anything sporting-related or academically that warrants recognition, my family "rolls in squad deep," so much so that they've been affectionately referred to as the "Entourage" ever since I was younger.

And, the Entourage was in full force this weekend.

In an effort to find a seat where we could clearly see the field and the batter's box, my aunt and I split from the rest of our group and found ourselves sitting on the opponents' bleachers.

You can learn a lot from sitting with the enemy. After all, keep your friends close and well, you know the rest.

They didn't skip a beat. The first chance they had prior to the game beginning, they started saying things that could be taken in a derogatory fashion. One such comment was that they were playing "the worst team in the tournament" (which turned out to be false since my cousin's team finished second).

However, this wasn't even remotely close to what I found offensive.

For those of you who don't know the rules of baseball, opposing teams have to release their batting order to each other prior to the game beginning and every time a change is made in the order throughout the game. In the first inning following a base-clearing triple by the team in question, a mistake was caught in the batting rotation; and as such, the triple was erased, the two runs were wiped off of the board, the runners regained their positions on first and second, and an out was properly called.

A woman sitting behind me chimed in and said, "Well, I guess if that's the only way you can win." She was speaking this way about children, eight-years-old and younger.

I won't tell you what I wanted to say to this woman. What I will say is this: these children demonstrated true hard work and diligence and were hand chosen for a team comprised of the best in the area. Regardless of their affiliation, they deserved the respect of every single person in attendance, which this woman failed to show.

If you're an avid participator in the lives of little athletes, remember that they're still learning and growing as athletes. Remember that they aren't going to be called-up or drafted tomorrow to play for professional teams. Remember that they're young and impressionable.

Take a second to evaluate what's important. Are you that obsessed with winning that you have to belittle the efforts of someone considerably younger than you? Or, can you appreciate these contests and tournaments for what they are--learning experiences?

But, most importantly, can you sit there and cheer for every player to give them positive reinforcement when it is so vital to the continued success of children their age? If not, I suggest keeping the negativity to yourselves.