Mental Illness: A Letter

In light of all of the Florida shooting, I would like to draw attention to a much larger issue than gun control. I know what you're thinking, gun control is the biggest issue, arming our teachers is the last line of defense that we could possibly have, but it isn't. While we've been criticizing guns, we've overlooked a major component to gun violence: the person pulling the trigger. We've overlooked the demons those people are battling with, we're completely overlooking mental health and the reforms that could should be put into action. So here's a letter to those suffering in silence, you are not alone.

To the Silent Sufferers,

To the people that our system has failed, those sitting behind bars instead of getting the rehabilitative help that they need, those who keep quiet because they feel as though nobody will take them seriously, this is for you.

My heart aches for those who wake up everyday and have no idea who they can talk to, or those who wake up and worry about talking to someone who won't take them seriously. This world is a dark place and an even darker place for someone who is suffering in silence. Your feelings are not less than because someone else says they are, and you are not "crazy" just because you don't feel right.

I urge you to reach out to the help that is out there. There are people just like you, who wake up everyday feeling alone, angry, confused, or upset. While help may seem hard to find, it is anywhere if you are willing to look for it. You were destined for more than just spending your days trapped inside of your own mind, left to wonder what could possibly be going on.

I hope that at some point, you obtain the help that you need and the attention that you deserve. I hope that some day someone asks you how you're feeling and that you feel comfortable enough to share that information. I hope that someone notices when you're having a bad day and keeps you positive when it seems like the world around you is falling apart. I hope that on the good days, you're surrounded with people who make them better.

And most importantly, I hope that someone realizes that you have so much more to offer the world, that you aren't a "danger" just simply in need of some help. I hope that in our future, there is help and rehabilitation where it is needed and a compassionate ear to listen to you. I hope that you can overcome your demons, learn to live with them and not fight this internal battle day in and day out. And I hope that one day, someone shows you that you are worth more than you think you are.

Sincerely,

Someone who cares.