The Stigma Of Mental Health Due To College Pressures

"It makes me sad to realize that there could be so many people at university who could be going through their own mental health issues but are too scared to tell anyone about it."

105
Photo by Ángel López on Unsplash

College campuses are filled with students who are under a lot of stress for a variety of reasons. Personal life mixed with academic life can cause students to "burn out" and be susceptible to anxiety and depression. Anxiety and depression can be developed at early ages, or be developed over time. I have talked to a number of students who have told me about how once they entered college, they have developed anxiety. I am aware that this term can be used loosely even though it shouldn't be. However, the students who are legitimately experiencing this do not know how to cope with it or whether or not they should seek guidance to help them do so. Many college students have told me that they are afraid to seek someone like a counselor or a therapist because of the stigmas behind mental health and the beliefs that their families hold about it.

It can be stressful enough figuring out ways to deal with your mental health yourself, but it can be worse if you don't have the support from your friends or family. Mental health is just as valid as physical health; the only difference is going about how to deal with it. Something like anxiety or depression can be debilitating over time, especially if you suppress and ignore it. Of course, there are plenty of resources online that help people find different coping mechanisms but that may not be the outlet that someone is looking for. Sometimes people prefer to talk, face-to-face, with someone and explain to them what they are going through, how they are feeling, and advice on how to help their situation.

Students on a college campus also have resources they can reach out to. But I know that many students almost feel "embarrassed" to go see a therapist or a counselor because they don't want to be perceived as "weak-minded" or "sick". And most of the time the reason they have this mindset is because of what their families have told them. I believe that everyone should have their feelings be taken seriously because you never know what the underlying issues can be. And most of the time, the people who are taught that mental health is not as serious as physical health, are very good at suppressing their feelings and not expressing how they feel. I encourage everyone to check in on their friends, especially because you never know what someone could be going through.

It makes me sad to realize that there could be so many people at university who could be going through their own mental health issues but are too scared to tell anyone about it. And even though the web and schools could offer guidance, I think more awareness should be made about the stigmas of mental health. Nobody should have to go through something like depression or anxiety alone, especially with the pressures of doing well in school or work on top of them.