Your mental health comes before your job.

My Mental Health Is Far More Important Than A Part-Time Job, And So Is Yours

I need to put myself first, always.

220

As a college student, I know how important it is to be making money each month to provide for myself.

I can't be walking around with absolutely no income unless I want to be living with my parents for the next four years (I love you both but...no thanks).

So naturally, I work three jobs.

Because of these jobs, I am living in a house I love, and I get to spend my money on events and experiences.

All of this sounds amazing, and truly, it is.

But something I didn't take into account when deciding to work three jobs while going to school full time, was my mental health.

I thought that surely I could do it all, with no problem! I told myself I would just take classes online to make more time for work.

My plan didn't go as easily as I had envisioned it would.

Working three jobs while being enrolled in college is a hard task.

Sure, I'm making enough money to pay my rent each month and go to the movies every once in a while, but does any of that really count if I'm anxious all the time?

Every single day that I have off work, I'm constantly thinking about my schedule and when I'll have to work next. I'm consistently worrying and stressing about all of the things I need to get done before my next shift. I always feel like I'm running out of time.

For the longest time, I thought something was wrong with me. Why was I so anxious about a few part-time jobs? Did I not like working? Was I lazy? Was I unmotivated?

I beat myself up about it for weeks, until I realized the truth.

My mental health is more important than any part-time job.

I learned that I don't have to feel this way. I don't have to feel like I'm failing all the time. I can focus my attention on school and only work one job, and be OK. I can take a step back, and check on my mental health before I start worrying about my part-time job that won't even matter in four years.

I can make time for myself, and I can live out my college career the way I really wanted to, with my eyes on the degree at the end of it.

If my mental health and grades are suffering because of one silly little job, then maybe it's time I let it go.

And so I will.