Memorial Day: It's Not Just About Barbecues, Fireworks, And Holiday Sales

You're free to celebrate Memorial Day how you wish, but always remember what the day really means.

40
Wikimedia

There was something I saw last Memorial Day that was really small and trivial that got into my head and kinda bothered me. I remember at some point that day, I checked my Snapchat and responded to a few friends. While I was swiping through the filters, I noticed one sponsored by Hollister.

It put your face on the body of Uncle Sam while cheerful and jubilant patriotic music played in the background. Red, white, and blue fireworks went off around your head. Pretty innocent stuff.

I didn't really think much of it initially. I mean, Memorial Day is a patriotic holiday. It was just a dumb Snapchat filter, but I just started thinking about it and it slowly started to bug me. It just made you into a goofy, fun little version of Uncle Sam. It would have been perfectly fine for the Fourth of July. The Fourth of July is all about fun and patriotic celebration.

But it was a little misplaced for Memorial Day. Memorial Day doesn't have the same feel that the Fourth of July does. It's not really supposed to be light-hearted and care-free.

It got me thinking that a lot of Americans don't really understand what sets Memorial Day apart from our other patriotic holidays.

Memorial Day isn't exactly for celebration — it's for remembrance.

There are four patriotic holidays that we as Americans should distinguish between: the Fourth of July, Veterans Day, Armed Forces Day, and Memorial Day.

The Fourth of July is for celebrating our nation's independence and enjoying what it means to be an American. This should be a happy day.

Veterans Day - November 11th - is for remembering the service of our veterans who survived. This is a day for gratitude.

Armed Forces Day - the third Saturday in May - is for thanking our current servicemen/women for their service. This too is a day for giving thanks.

Memorial Day - the final Monday in May - is different. Memorial Day is for remembering the sacrifice of the people who gave their lives for America. This day is for solemness and reflection.

We're not always so good at that "solemness and reflection" part.

It's been pointed out for years now how we as a country sometimes tend to cheapen holidays that are meant to be important. I've always thought it was kinda silly how some stores have "Presidents Day sales."

Okay, now come on, that's just the day of the year where companies slap Washington and Lincoln's faces on their products as an excuse to do marketing and get people to buy stuff. It's silly, but it's not that big of a deal.

It's always kinda bothered me when that sort of thing is done for Memorial Day though. I used to say, "Hey, you wouldn't have a special 50 percent off sale for the anniversary of 9/11, would you?" Someone actually has already done that though...

The sales aren't really the worst part - businesses will have sales for anything, come on.

It's just disappointing to see people who treat it as just a nice Monday off classes/work and nothing else. They sleep in, head to a barbecue, drink tons of beer, watch some fireworks, and that's their day.

I'm honestly okay with people doing barbecues and stuff on Memorial Day. I think in a way, that's what we should do. But hear me out a second.

Save the barbecues for a little later in the day.

I can't tell you how to celebrate Memorial Day. It's all your choice in the end. I'm just explaining what I think we should do. Ultimately, it is your freedom to do with the day as you wish.

But I think before you hit the pool, grill some burgers, drink some tall ones - which are all fantastic things that I absolutely love - take some time to be quiet and thoughtful.

If you're near one, try to make it to a military cemetery like Arlington National Cemetery near Washington, DC. I'll be visiting the Soldiers' National Cemetery at Gettysburg, PA for this Memorial Day, and I can assure you, it's a worthwhile experience to go to a place like that on such a day.

Usually, all the graves in these cemeteries have been decorated with flags for this special day, and it's breathtaking to see. Spend some time walking among the graves and just thinking. Think about all the men and women over our country's 240-year history who gave everything to build the beautiful nation we live in today.

If you can't make it to sacred ground like Gettysburg or Arlington, do something as simple as attending your hometown Memorial Day parade. If your hometown is like mine, at some point, the men of the local American Legion post will come by with a color guard. When they pass, look at those tottering old men carrying the flags and rifles. Think what they may have seen.

Think of the friends they had who they may have watched die on the battlefield. Then look at the flag they carry. Remember what that flag stands for and how many people just like you and me died to protect it.

Afterward, go home and enjoy yourself. Spend time with family and friends, and have some fun.

I think, in a way, this is what the fallen would want us to do. We should take time to remember their sacrifice — but don't let it consume everything in your day. Do what they would have done if they'd made it home. There are too many young men and women who gave their lives for us. I think in a way it's a tribute to them to use some of the freedom they gave us to enjoy ourselves.

So this Memorial Day, feel free to do as you wish... because you are free. But I beg you, take time to remember those who gave us that freedom.

I leave you with a quote I want you to keep in your mind on this sacred day:

Our flag does not fly because the wind moves it; it flies with the last breath of every soldier who died defending it.