Meet Aspiring Journalist Ashley Briggs

Meet Aspiring Journalist Ashley Briggs

Behind the lens with Ashley B

108
Meet Aspiring Journalist Ashley Briggs
Kaala Maple

"Journalism is in fact history on the run," Thomas B. Griffith

If you yourself attend Winthrop University, chances are you've met or worked with Ashley Briggs.
She's friendly, outgoing and makes it her duty to meet new people.

Dubbed a young Michelle Obama by her peers, she's on the rise to following her dreams to become a great multi-media journalist. Briggs is a senior Mass Communication major with a concentration in Broadcasting and a minor in African American Studies.

Check out her Q/A below:

Shakora Bamberg: Tell me a little bit about yourself.

Ashley Briggs: My name is Ashley Briggs. I’m from Florence, SC. I’m 21 years old and I’m the only child. I have recently joined the the first, finest, classy, sophisticated, and illustrious sorority of Alpha Kappa Alpha.

SB: Tell me about your role at Winthrop including any leadership roles, recognition or positions you're involved with?

AB: Student Publications Representative for the Council of Student Leaders, past Historian and website editor of WUABJ.

Now I’m the Vice President of WUABJ, former (Quantitative Methods) Tutor for the ASC, former Photographer for the Roddey-McMillan Record monthly cultural newspaper.

Multimedia Journalist for WU Close Up, Activities Volunteer for Carolina Gardens Assisted Living at Rock Hill. Member of Gamma Beta Phi honor’s society, alto singer for WUVOP choir. I am the Ivy Leaf Reporter for the Mu Xi Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.

SB: Of all the roles mentioned above, what has been the most important that has shaped you into a better young woman?

AB: Honestly, everything I have been involved in has shaped me into the young lady I am today. My time as a student leader at Winthrop has given me the opportunity to experiences things that were outside of my comfort zone. I would have never imagine that I would be able to: run for student body Vice president, meet my representative, sit on stage during the Democratic Forum, take a picture with Hillary Clinton and Dr. Cornel West, meet Bernie Sanders, meet Vincent Sheehen, be featured in a campus wide promotional video. I am truly grateful that God has given me the opportunity to be put into these places so that I can be exposed to those things.

SB: When did you realize that you wanted to be a news reporter? Where did this passion come from?

AB: I realized I wanted to pursue a career in broadcasting during my senior year of high school. I have always had a thing for broadcasting even when I didn’t noticed it. I wanted to always take pictures, control the audio board in church, and pretend to have a late night talk show. The passion was always there but it took sometime for me to figure out what my passion was. It took a lot of prayer to understand my purpose. honestly I am still praying for guidance to fulfill my God given destiny.

SB: How can potential readers, read your blog or subscribe to your youtube?

AB: My blog: https://moretoolifethan.wordpress.com/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKr1v2nTC1jbEWKtcO4OSIw

SB: Tell me of any experiences that have helped shape your rising career.

AB: Winthrop Close UP- On Mondays we pitch our stories then we are questioned about the story concerning the significance of the story. We also assigned production roles so on Wednesday we know our assigned task. The show airs on Friday on CN2 Xtra and viewers can watch our show on our youtube channel (winthropcloseup).

Internship: ESPN Charlotte- This past summer I interned at ESPN Charlotte, where I compiled contact information for all media outlets in Charlotte and Asheville,helped orchestrate station appearances at Speed Street 2016 and Taste of Charlotte 2016, compiled list of upcoming events in Charlotte for future station appearances, helped price, budget and design station promo items (koozies, flyers, lanyards, stickers), and wrote, recorded and produced several PSAs.

I have enjoyed my time spent with my ESPN Charlotte family. I was treated like an employee and I’m still grateful for the opportunity to intern there. This experience reassured me that I am suppose to be in the media industry.

Work experience: YMCA Summer Camp Counselor-Through this experience I was able to go back to my childhood. Those kids allowed me to feel like they were my siblings. My job did not feel like a job.

Traveling: Over spring break I was able to go to the Bahamas with my sister/bestfriend Lauren. I enjoyed being able to broaden my horizons by seeing different places of the world.

SB: Who is your role model?

AB: My role model would be my grandmother because she is the what every women should aspire to be. She is ambitious, wise, elegant, hard-working, loving and so much more. She is my personal version of Michelle Obama which is awesome because I get to talk to the “first lady” every day.

SB: What is a fun interesting fact about you?

AB: Although, I’m not the best dancer or singer, I enjoy doing both whenever I can. I also enjoy making people laugh. I want to be remembered as someone who was very focused on their goals as well as someone who made people feel special. When I meet new people I want them to fall in love with me so I try to make them smile at least once.

SB: What advice would you give to the freshman class especially the young women entering the same career path as you?

AB: I would tell young girls to never give up. There will be a time you may feel unsure about if this is the right career path for you but if it wasn't intended for you to be here God would have never put it inside of you. I know there will come a time you may feel like you are not good enough, you are not capable, and you are not enough. You are more than enough because you have a gift that is meant to be shared with the world.

The world needs YOU to make your contribution. You have purpose and you are Queen so keep striving to be more than what others expect of you. Oprah Winfrey said “don't worry about being successful but worry about being significant.” As long you share your gift with the world success will come to you. I live by making a mark that cannot be erased and I want others to do the same.

SB: How would you tell these young women how to best prepare for college?

AB: One thing I would tell young girls is to follow the path they need to be successful meaning do everything you can to make sure you are ready for college. Maintain a high gpa, take the SAT & ACT, study hard, be involved in high school extracurricular activities as well as their community. As long as young women focus on the things that matter the most or their future career goals they will be successful.

SB: What are your long term career goals?

AB: My long term career goal is to become a emmy award winning journalist. I plan to have my own segment or show on a major news network like Melissa Harris Perry.She is amazing!

SB: When you’re not busy at Winthrop what do you like to do for fun?

AB: In my spare time I like to volunteer at Carolina Gardens Assisted Living Home. I always leave there with a smile on my face. I also enjoy spending time with my family, friends, and sorority sisters.

SB: What do you like about Winthrop, why did you choose this college?

AB: I’m at a point where I can say that I love my university. I remember imagining myself here at Winthrop so I knew this was the place to be. I have always heard great things about Winthrop and I wanted to work extremely hard to be here.