The Value Of Meditation

The Value Of Meditation

A few minutes each day to relax is crucial for mental health

18
The Value Of Meditation
Love This Pic

At the end of the week, it's always a good idea to take some time to repair and relax. But really, why wait until the end of the week to relax when every day is filled with challenging tasks? Upkeep on mental health is crucial, no one is exempt from overworking themselves from time-to-time. To help me destress and prepare for the week ahead, I always try to carve a few minutes out of my day to meditate.

Yes, it sounds insignificant and flakey, but focusing on one thing, like relaxing each part of your body gradually, is proven to lower stress levels by changing your focus to your breathing and your body. With all the rush of scheduling meetings and the general frenzy of daily duties, you might not want to push it all aside and relax for a moment, even to collect your thoughts. It might seem counterproductive to relax during a busy week, and I get frustrated even hearing the suggestion, but it's ok to meditate every day.

You don't have to wait until Friday to sit down with a cup of coffee and relax, even five minutes of concentrated breathing exercises during a busy day can help organize your thoughts and make the rest of your day more productive, making you less stressed, thereby boosting your overall mood. Life is exhausting, but it's also a journey with no real true end goal, though some days it feels like there is. The journey can always be made more pleasant with just a couple of minutes of de-stress time.

It might not feel like it because you do it so much, but even your commute to work or a trip to the grocery store can tire a person out because there's so much going on. A stressful or busy work environment can take its toll, but if you find a moment of quiet in a loud day, your mind and body will thank you for it. When you don't address the stressors in your life on a regular basis, it's easy for the tension to build and can lead to a meltdown later. A big meltdown can be avoided with a smarter schedule, one where self-care is on the priority list. While I'm not saying "put yourself and your comfort first no matter what," it makes sense to make yourself healthier in order to be a more happy, productive person, which is great for everyone, not just you.

Mental health should really be treated as your physical body, and you wouldn't neglect to take care of your physical body, so why starve your mind of relaxation? In such a fast-pace society it's more important than ever to relax after a long day, and a slight alteration to your schedule to allow for a mental break might be just what you need.