I Was Not Meant For College But I Went Anyway

Going to college will bring me exactly what I want, even if it means suffering through a couple more classrooms and lectures.

1036
Cole Keister via Unsplash

College isn't for everyone -- that is a known fact. According to a 2014 NY Times article, only 65.9% of high school graduates decided to go on to college and has decreased each year since. I am part of that 65.9% even though I belong to the other 34.1%. Allow me to explain.

Ever since I was very little, I never enjoyed sitting in a classroom. This trend very much carried through middle school and high school: I just absolutely hated being in a classroom. I was much more productive and receptive when I learned by doing, not via lecture.

I spent my high school years working at various different establishments near my hometown, trying to teach myself skills they don't teach you in school: customer service, finances, marketing, production, etc. Truthfully, I liked my jobs better than I liked high school even though they were ten times more emotionally and physically draining and took up so much more of my time.

My dad is a huge proponent of school: he would always ride me and my sisters about grades and about the importance of a good education. He, himself, graduated from Manhattan College with a degree in engineering and still applies those skills to his day-to-day life.

He has given our family experiences we could never thank him enough for -- all because he graduated from college and earned himself an amazing job. I would love nothing more than to give my future family the same experiences, which is why I bit the bullet and applied to college.

During the college search, I narrowed my options to solely schools within a city. Consequently, I applied early decision to The George Washington University and got accepted on December 19th, 2016.

This accomplishment brought my parents (and my extended family as a whole) so much joy. Not to say that I was upset (because trust me, I definitely was not) but I accepted the offer knowing very well that I was signing myself up for 4 more years of sitting in a classroom, which is basically my worst nightmare.

You're probably thinking: "If you hate school so much, why are you there?" I'm at school for future me. I have some of the biggest dreams; I want to conquer the world (not really, but that's definitely something my mom would say). GWU has opened endless doors for me and it will, eventually, give me the chance to travel and see the world while doing what I love. Going to college will bring me exactly what I want, even if it means suffering through a couple more classrooms and lectures.

Again, college isn't for everyone. I know it's not for me and that's completely okay. I, however, have told myself that the pain now will pay off in 5 years, maybe 10 years, time. If college isn't for you, don't feel like you have to go. If you think it will be what's best for you (like I did), then absolutely give it a shot.

But if you just do not think college will give you the resources to live your best life, don't let societal pressure (or parental pressure or friendship pressure) force you into a decision that will put you in a monetary and emotional hole you won't be able to climb out of.