The Meaning Of Life

The Meaning Of Life

When life feels more like a curse than a gift, keep in mind the purpose for which you were created.

55
The Meaning Of Life
ichef

Yes. You read that correctly, I am here to tell you the meaning of life, or at least attempt to. I am only 19 years old, so many of you readers may think that I would be crazy to try and claim to know the meaning of our existence, I mean, isn't that what all the great thinkers of ancient times devoted their entire lives to? How could a college student like myself claim to know anything?

You're right. I can't claim to know anything. I do not claim to know all, in fact, most of the time I feel like I know next-to-nothing. The following claims are, therefore, my interpretation, food for thought, if you will.

In my opinion, I don't think that the meaning of life is quite as complicated as the world makes it out to be. I mean, yes, it's complex, but all it really boils down to is praising God.

All you non-Christians out there may be getting your pitchforks and torches ready at that statement, but I believe that God, our creator, created us to praise Him.

Now, at first glance, that statement makes God seem a little selfish and full of Himself. I, however, do not think this is the case. You see, God didn't have to create us. God doesn't need us at all. He doesn't need our praise to serve some divine ego. I believe that He gave us life in order that we might have the privilege of serving Him. Psalm 119:175 states, "Let my soul live that I may praise You". To praise the God of the universe really is a privilege. Our souls long to praise Him.

Our lives are gifts. Life itself is a gift and while we are on this earth our main focus should be furthering the Kingdom of God. Showing His love, giving Him glory, and bringing others to know Him is our goal. We are not promised happiness or comfort or wealth. The world tries to convince us that these are our goals, that the meaning of life is hidden in earthly gain, when in fact it is found in heavenly reward.

This world is not our home. The things of this world are not ours to own. We are here to praise God and to receive His grace. He blesses us with things so that through us we may further bless others.

I think that it is important to keep this belief in mind, especially when we are struggling. When we question our existence, feel worthless, or don't know what to do with the time given us on this earth, it is incredibly encouraging to have something like this to fall back on. We exist to praise God.

If you are happy, praise Him. If you are sad, praise Him. If you are financially stable, praise Him. If you are in poverty, praise Him. In all circumstances, praise God simply for giving you life at all. Even when life feels more like a curse than a gift, keep in mind the purpose for which you were created.