Marrying Oneself: Crazy Or Brilliant?

Marrying Oneself: Crazy Or Brilliant?

Should you marry yourself?

12
Marrying Oneself: Crazy Or Brilliant?

Imagine the wedding of your dreams. No matter how you imagine it you know for sure that at the end of that isle is the person of your dreams. They are your other half, the person who can make you smile, and even laugh. Who knows, maybe if you are lucky enough they may even bring you soup and a box of tissues when you feel your worst. However, at the end of this particular isle is no one. When you reach the end the only person you will be marrying is yourself. Is this such a crazy scenario to actually imagine? Not really.

Let's face it. We have all had that one break up that left us raw and exposed. The person we were with was truly our everything, and at one point you envisioned what your next 20 years was going to look like. However, somewhere along the way something went wrong and the relationship fell apart. In the aftermath, you sat with your friends, cried a little, and maybe made fun of romantic comedies whose endings are only meant for the movies. Eventually, you made your way back to the dating world, only to be discouraged after going one some pretty terrible dates. In the end, you are left saying, "I'm going to be miserable and alone for the rest of my life. I wish I could just marry myself."

However, self-marriage is not just a concept for women who felt that they would never find the "perfect" partner in life, or even for men who felt the same way. Self-marriage is the belief of committing to yourself, and promoting self-love. It is all about finding the positive and beauty from within, and not having to rely on the validation of another.

While people are holding ceremonies for this it is simply the fan part. It allows a person the opportunity to share their day with friends and family. As well as giving their loved ones the chance to witness a person completely commit to their own self-happiness in a public fashion. Some people, however, may choose to do these ceremonies completely on their own in a more private and intimate way. The possibilities are truly endless!

The wise Buddha once said, "You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection." So why not commit to yourself for once and out your own happiness at the top of the list for all to see. Marrying yourself does not necessarily mean that you are completely writing off love and happiness with another person for the rest of your life. All it means is that despite your relationship status you promise to commit to you, and not give up when life looks bleak.

There is no wonder that the concept of self-marriage is starting to become more of a popular belief. The promotion of self-love is all around us, and is being pushed more and more these days. Not that it is a bad thing! I feel that it was only a matter of time before people said screw the traditional way of marriage," I'm marrying myself!" So now it is up to you. Is the idea of self-marriage something beautiful and encouraging? Or do you feel it is crazy and is just for people who seek attention?

I challenge you to look in the mirror and say these following vows to yourself: Remember when you say them don't just recite them. Instead feel them.

I vow to comfort myself during times of hopelessness, despair, depression, disillusionment, or any difficulty that arises.

I vow to be my Beloved always and in all ways.

I vow to never settle or abandon myself in romantic partnerships again.

I vow to live in the faith my life unfolds in mysterious divine perfection.

I vow to honor my spiritual path and create an amazing life whether I am ever legally married or not.

I vow to honor my calling and live my life as a work of art.

~Tarra Christoff