Man's Best Heroes

Man's Best Heroes

Dogs are incredibly important to humankind.

15
Man's Best Heroes
theeverythingdogsite.com

There's a reason dogs are considered man's best friend. Canines have been aiding and coexisting with us for thousands of years. They hunted alongside us and encouraged a productive and social lifestyle for early humans. Canines have been domesticated since well before the Agricultural Revolution, making them the first animals to be domesticated by humans. The dogs we have today evolved from a pack of wolves that came into contact with a group of European hunters and gatherers between 18,800 and 32,100 years ago. From there, domesticated dogs

spread through Asia, Africa, and eventually the Americas.

Today, canines assist humans in numerous ways, other than simply hunting and scavenging. We have known for thousands of years that dogs can and will save our lives when we are in danger. Billions of people around the world rely on dogs to live safe and productive lives.

Service dogs are treated like medical equipment in public and can help heal and save anyone, whether their problem is physical or emotional. They typically work eight to ten years, usually having multiple owners with difficult medical needs throughout their lifetimes. Others work with the same clients for their entire careers. The dogs go through extensive training and learn when they are and are not on duty based on whether they have their service vests on. When greeted in public, they resist distraction and look to their own for permission to socialize. These humble heroes commonly aid the elderly, the disabled, and those with serious mental illnesses.

Each service dog is trained to treat a specific ailment or perform a specific task that even modern technology cannot accomplish. Psychiatric and therapeutic dogs help people with mental health issues, commonly Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and anxiety or panic attacks. These dogs help the person socialize more, get more exercise, improve mental health, and lessen feelings of loneliness and depression. Autism service dogs help autistic people stay focused, stable, and calm in stressful situations. They are most helpful in crowded areas and when guiding their owner through emergencies. Medical alert dogs are trained to alert their owners when they are about to have a seizure and alert others of their owner's condition. They can also detect when their owner is about to have a heart attack or stroke so that they can get to safety before their condition worsens. Hearing alert dogs help the hearing impaired be alert to door knocks, sirens, and fire alarms, and guide dogs help the visually impaired navigate around the real world with ease. Mobility assistance dogs are trained to be able to push buttons, open doors, pull wheelchairs, and provide stability to those who easily lose their balance. In the same category, walker service dogs are also trained to retrieve a cane when their owner falls down and guide them back onto their feet. This type of service dog is most commonly used by people diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease.

With their incredible sense of smell, dogs can track down a person before any human can. Because of this and the fact that they are strong, fast, and naturally aggressive, they are great resources for both the police and the military. Police service dogs are trained to search buildings, locate illegal drugs, and track down criminals. These dogs are considered to be police officers and will protect another officer's life when they are in danger, even if it means possibly losing their own lives. Search and rescue dogs can track down a person by detecting human scent such as that of tissue, skin, decomposition gases, respiratory gases, and perspiration. They lead a small group of people by foot to the bodies of missing people who have been involved in a natural disaster, casualty event, or have gotten lost in the wilderness. Custom and border protection service dogs can detect and apprehend terrorists. They can also detect and seize illegal substances, including bombs and land mines.

Dogs are not just pets to humans. They are companions. They are civilians. They are heroes. They aid us medically and support us emotionally. They fight alongside us in wars and save our lives under any circumstances. The thing that sets them apart, though, is that they never ask for anything in return. Only unconditional love. This is why dogs are not just man's best friends, but man's heroes.