Why My Dog Is My Best Friend

Why My Dog Is My Best Friend

Even though he can't speak, he still gets me.

10
Why My Dog Is My Best Friend
Shelby Parmenter

Dog's are a blessing. They're always excited to see you, always there for you, always depending on you. It's ruff (haha, get it?) in the beginning when you first get a dog. Either they're a puppy and you're trying to train them, or they're a rescue and they're trying to figure out their new environment. Even with all the harder things, the good things always outweigh them.

The saying, "dogs are only part of our lives, but we're their entire lives," is completely true. I first got my dog when he was eight weeks old. He's now at the ripe age of ten and he's still going strong. We've experienced middle school, high school, college, and athletic events together. We experienced boating, camping, and even a little sister. I'll remember one of the first car rides we had that was just the two of us, I learned that I had to be easier on the breaks or he would fall. Even when he fell, he got right back up and gave me that big dumb smile of his. We even experienced living in my first apartment together and learning how to live on our own miles away from home.

My dog is my best friend because when I walk through the door every day, even multiple times a day, he's always excited to see me. His eyes get all wide and his tail hits every object within a two-foot radius. He's the last thing I see when I leave in the morning and the first thing I see when I arrive home. When I've had a long day and haven't been home, he follows me everywhere because he's just so glad that I made it home. He's always excited and always more than happy to see me.

A best friend comforts you and that is more than true with my dog. When I'm upset or just not feeling the happiest, he's there for me. May it just be crawling into my bed with me to cuddle, or bringing me a toy to get me in a happy mood, he's always there. When I was young and I would have nightmares, he would get into my bed with me and stay with me until I fell asleep again. He knew when I needed him. Whenever I need some fresh air, he's more than ready to go for a walk or go for a car ride. He doesn't care either way as long as he gets to spend time with me. When I'm crying, he comes to me and lets me cry on his shoulder. He is the most supportive.

Growing up it was more of me needing him than him actually needing me. With his age rising, he's becoming more dependent on me. He needs help getting into the car, he needs help going up and down the stairs when his hips really hurt, he needs me to help him take away the pain. He needs me. He depends on me.

When it comes time to say goodbye, it will be harder than when we said hello. He's had such an impact on my life and he's definitely made me a better, more mature, unbelievebly happy, person. Those big brown eyes will forever be etched into my mind along with his big happy smile.

“A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.” - Josh Billings