5 Ways To Manage Realistic New Year's Resolutions

You can do it.

60
Flickr

It's that time of year again...New Year Resolutions. Everyone is scrambling around to begin a brand new year with brand new goals. Yet, every year by March, resolutions somehow manage to fall down the drain until the next year where the cycle starts all over again. So the question arises, how do you make a resolution or goal that you can actually commit to? Here are some simple things to consider, and do, when making a realistic resolution:

1. Make a resolution you want.

While we all love imagining goals for ourselves, sometimes we don't really want them. It's important when trying to come up with a resolution to know the difference between the two. For example, many people always say they want to work out more, but actually, don't want to. Who wants to workout when you could be taking a nap? Instead, try a simpler solution first such as dieting or doing little exercises daily/weekly. This makes your goals easier to complete and lead to other goals.

2. Have a friend/partner.

Sometimes life catches up and you can't always do what you want. But once you stop maintaining your goal, you may find yourself never getting back to it. Having a friend or some sort of partner maintain the same goal as you can be helpful in these situations. When you fall off the wagon, they can be there to pick you up and you can do the same for them. Plus, it's always fun to have a buddy.

3. Keep motivation.

It can be difficult to keep up with resolutions along with life. To help keep you motivated, come up with a system. For example, a chart or planner that can keep you organized, a reminder on your phone, or a routine that goes along with your schedule. Doing any or more of these things will assist when trying to complete goals. Also, making sure to reward yourself is key. Do anything from taking yourself out to taking a day off is healthy and will give you more motive.

4. Don't overdo it.

While it's awesome to want to change yourself for the better, it's not awesome to overload yourself. First and foremost, don't overbook yourself. Make a few resolutions/goals and keep it at that until you complete them. Next, make sure you have goals that will be a challenge but not impossible.

As I mentioned before, do things for yourself that will help you and you can see yourself doing. And lastly, take everything one step at a time. Manage your life to work with your goals but don't have them overtake you to the point where they destroy you. Find a balance and change it as needed.

5. Stay positive.

Some goals will not take off and make an immediate change the moment you start them. Sometimes results take time and are not easy to see. For example, if you choose to try to be happier, the moment you make a change you aren't going to see yourself instantly happier. It'll take work from you to develop different mindsets and habits.

Within weeks or months, slowly there are results that make the difference. But do not be discouraged when you don't see what you want right away. Stay positive and work harder to get where you want to be. It won't always be easy but that's the whole point, try to remind yourself of the reasons why you're doing what you're doing. And after a while when the results come in the hard work will pay off.

New Year resolutions are tricky and can be difficult to maintain. But with the right intentions and attitude, you can really have some resolutions that you will complete. Just remember to be careful when picking and choosing. And never forget, it's a new year, and new you.