Making Time For Joy

Making Time For Joy

Prioritizing your time to get the most joy out of college life

16
Making Time For Joy
HD Wallpapers

Being a college student is stressful. Period. Ask any college student and they will tell you that they feel like they have a million things going on at once. Project due dates, exams, jobs, volunteering, social lives. It's not all midnight pizza and Bob Ross binges (But that's the dream).

If you're in college, you know that life can get crazy and you don't have time for everything you want to do. Sometimes you have to work on that paper instead of going on that camping trip. Sometimes you have to attend the group project meeting instead of the coffee date with your roommate. But what I'm realizing is that you need to make time for joy.

Yes, life gets busy and you can get easily bogged down with all of life's demands. But there is a way to find joy in the midst of this chaos. When we were little, we were taught that in order to have J.O.Y. we had to have our priorities straight: Jesus, Others, You. And this still applies today.

Jesus

You would think this one is pretty self-explanatory. We hear it all the time: Prioritize your relationship with Jesus. But do we really? I know I need to be more consistent in this area. But I've heard that spending time with God in the morning can help you develop a better attitude for the rest of your day. And I think that's worth a try.

Others

Sometimes in the midst of our busy days, we forget that those around us also have merciless schedules. We need to remember this and treat each other with respect. Even if you don't have the time to volunteer at a homeless shelter or lead a small group, you definitely have time to smile at the strangers you pass, thank your bus drivers and be courteous to your baristas (I'm a little biased on that one *wink*). Helping others and seeing the best in them can actually help you to feel better about yourself. Instead of comparing yourself and either being filled with pride or envy, you're putting someone else first and encouraging yourself along the way.

You

Surprisingly, this one can be quite difficult for Christians. We tend to only remember part of the Golden Rule. We love our neighbor, But do we love them as we love ourselves? Your neighbor was created in God's image, but so were you. Of course our main purpose is to glorify God. And we are not always called to be comfortable. But our bodies are still temples. Go ahead! Treat yo' self! How can you take care of others if you are not taken care of? Don't go overboard, but buy yourself that coffee. Get that pedicure. Have some you time. There's nothing wrong with that.

In today's world, less is no longer more. We feel like the more we have on our plate, the more successful we will be. The more hours we work, the higher our GPA, the more money we can make. We think we always need to do more. But this isn't always the case.

*NEWS FLASH* You are not defined by your GPA or your income. Sure, those resume builders look great. You may get a high paying job and feel accomplished, but you will find yourself running on autopilot if you don't take the time to slow down and enjoy life.

Real joy is possible in your busy life. All you have to do is make the time to

Love Jesus

Love Others

Love Yourself.