Making The Most Of Your New Year´s Resolutions

Lets actually set ourselves forward on the path of self-transformation.... without boycotting our plans.

15
Chance95bg

With the new year dawning upon us, we have all started crafting our yearly "New Year´s Resolution List". The goals we set for ourselves are magnificent: losing 20 pounds, being nicer to our enemies, hiking that mountain we´ve dreamt of hiking since we were twelve and so on. On January 1st, we set ourselves forward on the path of self-transformation, only to boycott this life-changing ride 20 days later. Yes, you heard me, even this ideal goal-setting method has its flaws, and one of them in particular prevents this path from completing its full circle. Commitment. This simple 10-letter word seems to be the core issue of New Year´s Resolutions. While the promises we make to ourselves are stellar and would actually change our lives if we stuck to them, we have a problem actually sticking to them.

But you know what? Instead of whining about how we most likely wont complete our goals for the year, how about I share with you some tips on how to make the most of your Resolutions and stick to them until December 2017:

1. Make step-by-step resolutions

When coming up with an idea, aim for the final goal on a step-by-step basis. We have to understand that meeting your resolution, wont be the only thing on your mind throughout the year, so baby steps will probably be the safest bet towards getting there.

2. Check up on yourself on a monthly basis

Instead of stuffing that list in the depths of your drawer, hang it up on your mirror or place it on your nightstand. That way, every time you go to bed or get ready, you can simultaneously keep tabs on yourself and make sure every action you make will help you in reaching your goals.

3. Don't give up just because you took a wrong turn

Perfection wont get you any closer to your goal than failure. Although in an ideal situation, we would reach our goals within the first month, life doesn't work that way. If you make a mistake, or realize that something you did goes against your goal, DON'T GIVE UP! The fact that you realized it is awesome, so just step back and keep trying ;)

4. Have an accountability partner

With all the amazing and surprising events and people that will come up in 2017, you are bound to forget. This is where an accountability partner comes in handy. If someone aside from you is willing to remind you of what you promised, the chances are higher of you making it to the top!

5. Go for quality not for quantity

Off course it is awesome to have a 20 part list of goals; however, keeping up with twenty changes is harder than keeping up with one or two. The easiest way to reach this is by writing down all your possible resolutions and then picking the top 2-4 that a) are feasible, b) will make you grow as a person and c) bring a positive change to your life.

So now that you know the secrets towards an optimal New Years Resolution List, it is your turn to craft your own, only this time instead of making it ideal, its time to make it EFFECTIVE!