Making College More Than Just College

Making College More Than Just College

Finding purpose out of these four years.

24
Making College More Than Just College
Her Campus

College is a crazy time. It’s fun because we get to meet new people, join new organizations, pursue our interests and basically do whatever the heck we want. But college is also a continuation of life, just in a new place. With that in mind, we have to remember how important it is to be intentional about how we spend our time. This is probably the gazillionth time I’ve written an article about intentionality or purpose...but let’s be real: it’s easy to just get swept aside by academics or coast along with what we’ve been doing since we got here. So here’s a list of ways to make the best of our time while we are here.

1. Do what you want. Don’t just join a club or organization because it looks good on a resumé. You have so many other things to keep in line (school, relationships, your mental life) that having something that you don’t want to really do is just a waste of your precious time.
  2. Invest in relationships. For those really academic people, here's a reminder: make time for people. Call your family or have a longer dinner with someone who just needs to talk a bit. While it’s definitely wise to make time for studying, remember that this is a rare moment in time when you are mostly surrounded by other peers who are looking for friends as well. Find people you like and pursue them.
  3. Push your comfort zone in good ways. My first week, I tried Krav Maga. Some people thought I was silly and to be honest, it kicked my butt (or the girl I was wrestling did). But I felt more confident in who I was because I took a chance and learned something new about myself, even if it was that I shouldn’t attempt Israeli street-fighting ever again.
  4. On the same line, when you try new things, don’t be afraid to do it alone. Yes, it’s fun to get your friend group or roommate to join a new club or rush a Greek group with you. But if you want to do something that nobody else wants to do, don’t let that dissuade you. We are adults and one way or another, we have to find out who we are apart from our friends.
  5. Get to know your professors more personally. I find that when I treat my professor like a human being, they actually become more human to me. I know this seems a little exaggerated, but sometimes we let those in authority simply become figures. Hopefully, you could find at least one to get to know in class or during office hours. The professors I’ve gotten to know have some great advice to give about jobs and life. So seek out the ones you like and connect.
  6. Use your money wisely. It can be hard when we just want to go blow our money at a nearby mall or get Starbucks before that 8 am every other day of the week. Just remember that the habits you make now will carry into the future, and the future for most of us has debts looming ahead. So be mindful of how you spend your money and try to find contentment in what you do have.
  7. Pursue a relationship or don’t. This statement is a bit ambiguous, so let me explain it like this. While I may be the least qualified to talk about this one from lack of experience, I’ve still had time to see that college relationships vary so much. At my school, people joke about getting a ring by spring. If that’s you, go get married. If you just want to date some people, date them. And if you’re not up for anything right now, then don’t worry about it. In the end, you need to do it your way. It’s easy to let our friends’ suggestions dictate how we will act and react, but just remember that they don’t live your life. They can only observe and provide suggestions. You are ultimately the person who experiences the effects of your choices.
  8. Change your major or don’t. On the same lines as the last one, know what you want to do. While some majors elicit “oohs” and “ahs,” others don’t. In the end, the world needs a variety of different people. So pursue your goals with intensity, whether a hundred other people are majoring in the same thing or only a few other people at your college.
  9. Be positive. This may seem silly, but it is so easy to be negative in college and beyond. If we can stop complaining about our stressors or people problems long enough to think about some positives in life, everybody is impacted in a good way. The people around us will like us more and we will probably like ourselves better, too.