7 Ways To Make The Most Of Spring Break At Home

Just pretend you're sitting out on a beach for a week.

87
Author's photo

As much as I wish I could be spending a week or even a few days at the beach this spring break, I’m, grateful I get to spend the week at home with my family. Since I live so close to home I’ve nearly mastered the art of visiting my family in one weekend, going around and seeing everyone I want to while I have time.

A week home is both long and short. Long because your family gets on your nerves really quickly and short because for a week it feels like the sweet taste of summer and you don’t want the bitterness of school to invade (okay school isn’t that bad, but also it is). It’s the beginning of the end of your first year in college.

Anyways, here’s how I spend my time and some things you can do too.

1. Have a movie night in with the family

It’s been a while since you have all been together and even if your younger siblings don’t have the same day off, they should still be able to spend a couple of hours on Friday night bonding with the family over a movie.

2. Game night

My family doesn’t do these but I wish we did. My friends and I do though. They’re super chill and a way to hang out while doing something. If you need any game ideas let me know, I’ve got plenty.

3. Sibling bonding time

I’ll probably write an entire article about this later, but going to college has strengthened the bond between my sister and I. We don’t really fight anymore, in fact we tolerate each other pretty easily. Take them to dinner or shopping or something, they have lots of stories to tell you, they haven’t had you to talk to for a while.

4. Visit grandma

I love my grandma and don’t know what I’d do without her. She has so much wisdom and various stories and never fails to make me laugh every time I’m with her. Also know that your grandparents miss you a lot, and love when you come to visit them, so if you can, do.

5. Keep up your workout routine

Thanksgiving break is almost acceptable to slack a little on your workout routine, but it’s SPRING, the sun is shining (hopefully). Most gyms offer a free week trial if you don’t have anywhere to workout at home.

6. Explore

I don’t know about everyone else, but I love traveling and exploring, hiking and running. Spring break is the perfect time to do that. No matter where you live I’m sure a scenic hike isn’t too far away, even if it isn’t in the mountains (though if you live in Colorado I’ve got plenty of places).

7. Relax

This should actually probably be number one. Spend some time by yourself. Have a dance party in your own room- that you don’t have to share with anyone for a week! Take a bath. Watch an entire season of a Netflix show (or the entire thing, I just don’t have that skill yet) Self care is key, and something we all tend to push to the side when stressed.

There are plenty of other things you can do as well, but these are just a few of the ways I spend my time.