End of the desk day desk checks, locker cleanouts, and our mom's spring cleaning is a routine we are all familiarized with. However, I've taken these cleanouts to my own and other's advantage. You can easily make money cleaning; allowing for a chronic redecorator like myself to save the extra money and not feel too bad if you want to spend a few bucks on new decor. Here's what I've found:
Do's and Don'ts:
- DO: Go through an area or room by dividing it up so you don't become overwhelmed.
- DON'T: Just trash whatever you don't want anymore.
- DO: Orangize into bins and bags. Have them separated by trash, recycle, keep, sell, and donate.
- DON'T: Keep a ton of things that you will never touch again and only have because an Aunt you barely know gave to you for your seventh birthday; if she ever asks you about it, I promise you she'll make you prove it's shoved in the back of your closet still.
- DO: Donate!!! You may not see the value in something you own, however, other people may be in desperate need. Reality check, no matter how fortunate you are, you can always donate time or simply a crossing smile.
- DON'T: Throw everything into the trash when you can recycle. It doesn't have to be as big of a task as starting your own composting bin. Just think of how the paper and plastic can be reused instead of sitting in a landfill or causing pollution. In addition, even if you don't live by the ocean, our sea animals are being affected greatly by litter.
- DO: Sell things that are of value! Based off of personal experience, I highly recommend Facebook Marketplace. A safety tip is to always try to meet the person in the middle of the day at a very public location such as a grocery store parking lot. This ensures safety for both of you due to the high volume of bystanders and not having to disclose your phone number or address. For acquiring some money for old clothes I would recommend Plato's Closet.
- DON'T: Buy everything brand new. When selling stuff online, you may actually come across a few things you really like and may choose to purchase. Something to keep your time occupied or use to explore a hobby is crafting! Then the item you're desiring is sure to be personalized to your liking! Etsy is a really cool place to sell crafts of sorts on.
The list of do's and don'ts for cleaning out your space for a few extra dollars whether it's to redecorate or save, is applicable to many things but more importantly the places in your life. Cleaning things up and out will leave you feeling refreshed, your space a tad bit lighter, and your wallet possibly a bit heavier.
- 35 Stages Everyone Goes Through During The Midsummer Clean Out ›
- 5 Tips To Make Spring Cleaning Easier ›
- 13 Items, Random To Oddly Specific, You ALWAYS Find Cleaning ... ›
- 13 Ways For College Kids To Make Money This Summer (Besides ... ›
- There's More Than One Way To Spring Clean ›