13 Items, Random To Oddly Specific, You ALWAYS Find Cleaning Your Room

Some things should have been thrown away long ago.

196
lisaclarke / Flickr

Cleaning your room can be an ordeal; it's an uphill battle to create even just a square foot of clean open space.

No matter how many times you tidy up, there are 13 things you're guaranteed to find.

1. Money.

It's like Past You paid Future You to clean your room.

2. Clothes from a bygone age.

I'm not sure why this tie-dye t-shirt I made in sixth grade is still in the bottom of my dresser drawer, but it's time to say goodbye.

3. Clothes and accessories you forgot you had.

Who knows when I got this cute scarf or who gave it to me, but I'm glad I have it now!

4. Childhood toys.

It can be a great nostalgia trip finding your old favorite stuffed animal. However, I'm not sure how long this Littlest Pet Shop rabbit has been under my bed, and I'm not sure I want to know.

5. Birthday/Christmas/graduation cards.

Usually this is where you find the cash or gift cards that were tucked away and forgotten about.

6. Trash. Trash everywhere.

Plastic water bottles, partially used lip balms you opened five years ago, broken earbuds, old mail — you could fill a trash bag and a recycling bin.

7. Old candy.

It could be from your last Christmas stocking, Easter basket, Halloween haul or birthday present. Either way, if you haven't eaten it by now, it's time to throw it away.

8. Your old iPod or MP3 player.

The device you used to learn "Fergalicious" has now been found!

9. Old school projects and assignments.

This science fair report from eighth grade contains the height of my knowledge on how laundry detergent works.

10. Photos.

At this point, you pause your cleaning to take a trip down memory lane.

11. Dust.

God bless Swiffer Dusters.

12. Trophies and awards.

Your second-grade soccer trophy is the ultimate blast from the past.

13. That thing you were looking for last month and couldn't find.

THERE'S my extra phone charger! Why was it on my bookshelf?

Start the new year off right by clearing out all the junk from your room. It may take a few hours, but you'll be glad you did it.