7 Reasons Why You Should Be Making Your Bed (Almost) Every Morning

It just feels good.

49
Whitley Taylor

Rolling out of bed in the morning, I am rushing to change clothes, brush my teeth and make my bed before heading to class. It may seem like a waste of time to make my bed in the mornings, but it really helps me start the day off on the right note. And let me just say, I don’t make my bed EVERY single morning, but I try my best to do it as much as I can. So listen up, and I’ll tell you why I think you, like me, should make your bed every morning.

1. It can be considered your first victory of the day

It takes, on average, 30 seconds to two minutes to make your bed, and starting your day with this small accomplishment will make you start off the day on the right note.

2. It’s one habit that can lead to other good habits

According to Charles Duhigg in his book, The Power of Habit, “Making your bed every morning is correlated with better productivity, a greater sense of well-being, and stronger skills at sticking with a budget.”

3. A made bed will make a messy room look neat and tidy

Even if you have a pile of dirty laundry on the floor next to your bed, at least you did one thing right by making the bed!

4. Let’s be real: There’s nothing better than getting into a made bed at the end of a long, tiring day

You’ll thank yourself later.

5. It prevents embarrassment

What happens if you unexpectedly decide to have friends over and lo and behold, your room is a mess and your bed is unmade? Oh no! You can pretend you don’t care, but deep down inside we all know you are embarrassed you didn’t take those extra minutes to make your bed that morning.

6. Sleeping in a freshly made bed helps you sleep better

According to a study by the National Sleep Foundation, the people that make their beds the most also sleep the best. A win-win.

7. It just feels good

If you need a little more convincing that making your bed every morning is the way to go, check out this commencement speech by U.S. Navy Admiral William H. McCraven, who says “If you want to change the world, start off by making your bed.” He goes on to discuss the importance of accomplishing the little things in life and how that will help you to accomplish the big things. So make that bed, it’ll make the whole rest of your day a whole lot better.