Make America Great Again?

Make America Great Again?

Millenials weigh in on Donald Trump

27
Make America Great Again?
The Huffington Post

As the race for the American presidential nominees has grown closer, we've all been smothered with various ideologies. In the 2016 presidential election, one that a reporter from The Rolling Stone calls a "campaign trail with the most dishonest, bumbling and under-qualified pack of presidential candidates in history," young Americans are finding themselves not looking for the best candidate who suits their needs and that of the American people -- but the one who will do the least amount of damage. I interviewed three college students (Cassidy Tarullo, a psychology major at Temple University; Jamie, an international business major at Temple University and Jonathan Sclar, a political science major at Adelphi University) to try to put together a general consensus of how millennials feel about the republican front runner, and arguably the most controversial presidential candidate in this election -- Donald Trump.

I started the article trying to dissect Trump's campaign slogan:

1. What does Donald Trump mean when he says he's going to "Make America Great Again?"

Cassidy: "I think that he means he wants to reestablish the American dream and how everyone used to see that you go to America to be successful and free. I think he's forgetting the fact that what makes America great is that we're a melting pot and there's different people here. He's basically saying it's the white/European people who make it great and that to make it great again you have to kick out basically anyone who's not white or european."

Jamie: "I think that currently there's much wrong with our country and he's not really talking about a specific time period which is a common misconception. I think previously, jobs were easily obtained and the economy was better. There wasn't the problem of illegal immigration and all these social issues. There's a lot of foreign issues with Isis and everything and our country is kind of viewed as a joke now and it's sad. I think he's definitely here to turn everything around"

Jonathan:"i don't think trump knows what he means when he says he wants to make America great again. I think that it's a very attractive statement to a big portion of the American electorate...He did an interview where they asked him what he was talking about and he said the days of Reagan where he says America was great but then again he didn't back it up with anything… it's a very attractive statement… a lot of americans interpret it the way they want to…. they think Donald Trump is a positive statement and I think he's done very well by using that statement."
So perhaps America needs Trump because he is so "tough" and undoubtedly authoritative in his speech and mannerisms for foreign countries to take us seriously. With his straightforwardness, business skill, and readiness to express opinion perhaps Trump is exactly what our country needs to reestablish itself.

Or is it? Many Americans disagree with Trump's proposed policy of issuing identification cards to Muslim Americans due to their race, a policy eerily similar to that of Adolf Hitler during World War 2. In a country founded from immigrants fighting for religious freedom how can you isolate a whole group of people based on race alone?

Another major issue in this presidential election is women's health. Candidates are fighting to prove their views on abortion, women's sexual health, paid- maternity leave, and planned parenthood. In order to begin a debate on women's issues I proposed a second question:

2. How do you feel about Donald Trump's desire to defund Planned Parenthood which he revealed to the public in October of 2015?

Tarullo: "I don't think that he should have any say in the funding of Planned Parenthood since it doesn't effect him at all as a human. I don't understand why him or any other middle aged white man thinks he has any say in it because it has to do with a woman's body. Also, even if you're pro life, Planned Parenthood does so much more than just abortion. I think that he's pro life so he's not realizing how detrimental that would be to women's health, and banning abortion is dangerous anyways."
Jamie: "He's actually one of the few republican candidates who acknowledges that the abortion part of Planned Parenthood is only a small portion. He's smarter on women's rights than most republican candidates…..I think that Planned Parenthood is corrupt as a company and it should be funded but I see most of the speeches him acknowledging its not all abortion but I think there should be attention drawn to the fact that they are corrupt and have broken the law. He has a mixed opinion and sees the corruption but also sees that they're not just abortion. I agree with his mixed feelings towards it."

Jonathan: "I think that's another example of Trump getting on the bandwagon. That's not Trump's plan, all of the republican candidates have talked about it and I respect their views to believe that abortion should not be as far widespread as it is however...none of the government funding goes towards abortion and Planned Parenthood is really about women's health. It's a nice tagline they can say but they're missing the mark …..and it's really dangerous to talk about defunding an organization that is so important for women's healthcare."

An argument many millennials are having with the majority of the presidential candidates, both republican and democratic, is political consistency. Front runners like Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump have changed their political viewpoints throughout time making them seem a little "un trustable" or to put it bluntly, fake. Trump is no exception to this "political wishy-washiness" which prompted me to ask:

3. Do you find it odd that in July of 2000 Trump identified himself as “pro-choice” but now identifies himself as ‘pro-life’ in terms of abortion?

Cassidy: "There's also the fact that he used to identify as a democrat but now does as a republican…. I feel like he's trying to say all this sh!t to get popular so people listen to him because I don't know how you can change your point of view so fast."

Jamie: "No I don't because Obama and Hillary were anti gay marriage but not anymore and Obama now takes credit for legalizing gay marriage. People's opinions change, I think he's a businessman and it's definitely beneficial to be more democratic but I think as you get older you realize different things and can change your opinion."

Jonathan: " I do find it odd but I do find it as odd as I do with a lot of the other candidates. A lot of politicians do that, they're very flip- floppy on their issues and… when we find a presidential candidate who is very strong on their beliefs that's who we have to vote for".

A big reason why many Americans support Trump is his skill as a businessman. In order to further understand how millennials feel about Trump's economic plans I asked a question about a particularly popular economic plan:

4. Trump often says he believes bringing manufacturing jobs to America instead of outsourcing them in companies such as Apple will improve our economy, how do you see this being tangible?

Cassidy: "I don't know to be honest."

Jamie: "He would impose a tariff on manufacturing abroad and I think it's a really good idea because especially with China they've dropped their currency so it's really cheap to manufacture there and that takes away from America. Yes it's cheaper but our consumers and job seekers would get more incentive to start producing in America again. It's almost necessary… taking away cheap manufacturing abroad will give Americans jobs and the ability to compete better internationally. If companies start producing in America again they can compete better so companies don't have to go abroad for cheaper prices."

Jonathan:"I think it's a good goal. It will bring a lot of jobs back to America. As far as he plans to implement it I don't see it being possible because these international companies are impossible for presidents to control. I think it's a silly thing to say because there's a lot of external factors that come to play when we're talking about international corporations."

Another issue many millennials have with Trump is his absent mindedness when it comes to our environment. Rarely does Trump address the environment but he also wants to cut funding for many environmental organizations. I asked our interviewees how they felt about a particular plan to defund the EPA

5. What’s your input on the fact that Donald Trump wants to cut funding for the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)?

Cassidy: "I just think it's completely irrational and I get politically fueled because I think everyone associates the EPA with pot-smoking hippies. President Obama just did a show where they went to Alaska and looked at climate change and if you look at that it's literally happening, climate change is a real thing and he's basically saying he doesn't believe in that. It's an example of how he's going solely on his personal beliefs instead of thinking about what's best for his country. You have to get over yourself and think about what's best for the nation and planet."

Jamie: "That's the one thing I disagree with, denouncing global warming. But I would say currently there's more important things to worry about so I kind of agree but it's definitely an issue that needs to be addressed at some point. I think it's an issue that can be put on the backburner due to the state of our economy."

Jonathan: "It's the same as the proposal to defund Planned Parenthood. Political expediency to get votes. I don't agree with defunding I think more funding should go to the epa instead of the military. We spend a disproportionate amount of money in areas where we should be spending less and more when we should be spending more and i think the epa is a category which we should be spending more.

Lack of evidence to support claims, lack of experience, racism and lack of humanity are ideologies these students attribute to Trump. But why is he doing so well in the polls? In the race for the republican nomination, as reported by CNN Trump has 40% support of the GOP. 40%?!?!? Compared to a 19% approval for Ted Cruz this is a staggering statistic. What is it that attracts republicans, and other americans as well, to the idea of Trump being sworn into office next November?

I ended my interview asking the question which is currently pressing us all:

6.If you had to give one reason why you're voting for/against trump what would it be?

Cassidy: "I'd be scared for every human that isn't a rich white man because everything that donald trump stands for only supports those people."

Jamie: "Giving america a backbone and boosting the economy."

Jonathan: "He's taking a lot of the intellectual integrity out of politics and unfortunately out of a portion of the american people as well. i believe more members of the repub party are thinking that the worst thing he's done is reducing the intellectual integrity within politics and the american electorate"

And now I ask you: Does Donald Trump have your vote?