Ghosting Sucks, But These Are The Real Reasons Why Our Generation Does It

Most likely: They were abducted by aliens and had no signal to text back.

1463

Dating this day in age is rough. That is a fact. If you ask anyone between the ages of 18 and 25, they will tell you just that. Nonetheless, we take risks when we see someone well worth it. Dating is already tough, yet now, many are adding “ghosting” to the mix.

If you have not heard of the term, then you are in luck. According to Urban Dictionary, “ghosting is the sudden act of ceasing all communication with someone the subject is dating but no longer wishes to date.” Sounds insane right? I am somewhat old-fashioned, and I believe that a person should have enough respect towards someone they are dating to be able to end things amicably and maturely. Unfortunately, this has become way more often that is necessary.

I wanted to know the reasons people have become so disrespectful toward each other that they need to ghost someone that probably had feelings for them. I went ahead and asked my followers on social media what they thought. Here are the five top reasons they gave me.

1. The person is becoming too clingy.

This one was popular among the guys. Many guys do not like when a girl is too clingy. A specific follower said, “some guys like me, need their own space. I find myself always drifting if she is all over me. To be honest, playing hard to get, is still worth it.” Too clingy or not, there is always a balance to be able to find between liking the person and just hovering over them. We all need our space.

2. The person is moving too quickly.

This is one is a good one. Even I would get discouraged if a person would say the ‘L” word too early. Or if the person wants them to introduce them to their parents after just a couple of weeks of dating.

3. The person is scared of commitment.

You guessed it, many girls told me this one. As much as moving too quickly is not the best, never committing is not good either. It lets the person know that they are not special and you might have other people you are seeing. A good friend made a good point, “Because they are very much not ready to emotionally invest in another person but themselves.”

4. The person gets what they want.

We all know what I am talking about here. The word much censored by many in society and that is so taboo SEX. Yes, this is essentially your hit it and quiet situation. One follower told me, “The one and only time I got ‘ghosted,’ we had sex, he reassured me we would date and even called me his girl, and then completely stopped talking to me like a day or two later.” The younger generation has definitely has had some kind of encounter with a similar situation which then leads us to become very discouraged by men in this society. I am saying men in this situation because all the response I received about this one was women talking about men never talking to them again after they got what they wanted.

5. The person is dating multiple people and gets attached to one.

Many times in this dating age, people have to agree to be exclusive or not. If those words do not come out of their mouth, they find it easy to date multiple people at once. When that happens, of course, that one person finds it hard to juggle them all and eventually either settle with one or leaves all of them.

Usually, they get attached to one person and completely ghost all the others not realizing what damage he/she has caused.

Whether you have been ghosted or have done the ghosting, please be aware of the person’s feeling when you are doing this. Think about whether you would like to have your feelings wander around. You will never know what you did wrong if you did, because the person did not have enough respect to just end things the right way.