I Downloaded Luxy to See How Millionaires Date Online and It Did NOT Live Up to the Hype

A test to see if millionaire dating is different...

12

Everywhere we look, there are so many dating apps that someone can use. There's the typical Tinder and Bumble, a "classier" version, Hinge, Plenty of Fish, Coffee Meets Bagel, and so many others that cover really any type of person you're looking to meet. However, I stumbled upon an ad online that advertised and app called Luxy, which is for the hot and wealthy only. After reading up on it, I saw how ridiculous the standards were, and decided to give it a try to see if a "normal" person, like me, would be able to join.

Step 1: Download the app and sign up

It may seem like a simple start, but after downloading, you have to put in various information along with photos and details - much like any dating app. These details include name, gender, height, ethnicity, income (either non-disclosed or $200k and up), language spoke, religion, sexual orientation, smoking and drinking habits, what type of connection you're looking for, your education level, and occupation.

Step 2: Wait until you're accepted

After you initially sign up, there's a 24 hour holding period on your account. In that 24 hours, a team that works for the company looks over your details to see if you're worthy or not to be on the app - already unnecessarily exclusive. Your profile application is looked over by people of the opposite gender and then, if after the 24 hours they approve of you, your profile then appears to other people within the very limited modifications that you're allowed to set with the free version of the app.

Step 3: Realize that you can barely do anything unless you (over)pay

The free options are limited and, in order to really make the app work for you, they have a few different payment options: one month for $99.99, six months for $349.99, and 12 months for $449.99. Deciding against wasting all of my money that I didn't even have to spend, I stuck with the free version. That gave me around 30 swipes per day. Just like with other apps, right to match, and left to pass. However, the only way that you're able to see who matched with you is to pay one of the prices - so, essentially, swiping turns out to be pointless.

Step 4: Receive and hand out roses

This was when I felt like I was trapped in some weird online Bachelor or Bachelorette competition. Instead of matching with someone, you can send them roses to show that you like them. The more roses you get, the more popular your profile becomes and the more views you get, which shows how impeccable your profile needs to be. There's also an option to chat with someone right away, and they can either accept or decline your message.

Step 5: The search section

One of the tabs on Luxy brings you to a page where there are profiles with five subcategories: Verified, Hot, Nearby, Online, and Newest. Much like it sounds, each section is filled with matches that fulfill those descriptions. You're allowed 10 free chat options with those select few, so make them count and hope they like you.

Step 6: Realizing that the app is extremely prejudice and not worth your time

During my time on the app, I wasn't in contact with anyone because this whole experience was a test and, frankly, the whole point behind the app doesn't appeal to me. The idea that you have to look a certain way, have a particular job, or make a specific amount of money to be in contact with the rich and famous is a disgusting ideology. Fame and fortune should not be viewed as materialistic things, but, if that's your cup of tea, download the app and try it for yourself.