10 Hidden Gems At LSU You'll Wish You'd Unearthed Sooner

Take this list as a personal scavenger hunt/bucket list as you experience life at LSU.

436

Now that I've been at LSU for a year, I've found some secret treasures that I'd like to pass on. Even though the stuff on this list seems small, you will gain knowledge, experience, and even some sick Insta photos. The following 10 things are sacred to getting the full LSU experience, so pay attention and appreciate them to the fullest extent. Some are tangible, some are experiential, ALL are worthwhile.

1. Secret study spots

There's so much more to life than developing hypothermia on the third floor of Middleton. Finding your perfect study spot might take some time. I'm here to help you out with these suggestions: Acadian Hall has a secret courtyard when you walk through the lobby, hang up a hammock around the LSU lakes, any spot in the Business Education Complex (BEC), and the patio outside of On-The-Geaux in the union (just to name a few). Hit up one of these spots and thank me later.

2. Açaí Bowls from On-The-Geaux

Taylor Kellogg

This is perhaps one of the most glorious foods that will grace your taste buds, and being able to buy it with PawPoints makes it taste so much better for some reason. If you're ever in the Union at lunchtime, grab one of these heavenly smoothie bowls and wonder why you've never eaten one before. Seriously, just look at the picture. Who knew berries and granola could look so pretty?

3. Night drives

Taylor Kellogg

If you ever find yourself wide awake at 3 a.m. or in need of a study break, my #1 activity suggestion would be to get in your car and just drive. There's something about aimlessly driving around campus in the middle of the night that is so peaceful — you get to admire the school without thousands of kids buzzing around you trying to rush to class.

4. The architecture

Have you ever just stopped and actually looked around at your surroundings while you're on campus??? Ok, maybe don't ACTUALLY stop walking... the girl walking behind you through the quad might get a little freaked out. But on a real note, our campus is stunning, and people don't seem to appreciate it enough. From the Italian Renaissance style buildings to the "stately oaks and broad magnolias," there's so much to be said about the beauty of our school's architecture. I'm lookin' at you, Journalism Building!!!

5. Sunsets on the Parade Grounds

Taylor Kellogg

This one is cheesy but quintessential. Watching the sunset from the parade grounds is spectacular and should be the 8th Wonder of the World. Pro Tip: Climb the steps of the Law School building and watch from there; it might make you shed a tear.

6. Walking through campus after a football game

Taylor Kellogg

There's something so beautiful about thousands of Tiger fans strolling home/to their cars/to Greek Row after a game on Saturday nights. Win or lose, Tiger fans have a bond like no other. If you take a quick glance at all those around you, it makes you think about how lucky you are to be going to a college that makes everyone feel like one big happy family.

7. Sarah from Chick-fil-a

THE SWEETEST WOMAN ON THE FACE OF THIS EARTH, LET'S BE REAL. Sarah from Chick-fil-a is there every day with a smile on her face, and she won't judge you if this is your fourth day in a row of eating lunch there. She makes sure you receive your food ASAP, and she cares about you in the meantime.

8. Hearing the alma mater at noon

My body clock runs by this daily occurrence. If I miss hearing the chimes of our alma mater, my day just isn't the same. Please, for me, just take you headphones out at noon and listen to the song. You will get chills every time.

9. The traditions

Kissing your significant other at midnight on Valentine's Day to declare your forever love, swimming in the Dodson fountain to make sure you graduate, and Mike the Tiger protecting your class rings before the graduation ceremony are just a few of the historic traditions whispered around campus. Make sure you follow them or you might make it rain in Death Valley...

10. SECRET SUBWAY

Arguably the most important point on the list, the secret subway restaurant on campus is hard to beat. It might be hard to find at first, despite being able to smell the fresh bread from the Bell Tower. If you go to the back of Middleton and go down the steps of Foster, you'll run right into the greatest addition to our University.

11. Honorable Mention:

Taylor Kellogg

This one isn't technically on LSU's campus, but it is absolutely worth the 7-minute drive: Caliente Mexican Restaurant. Order the queso, trust me.